TOP BIN vs MIDDLE vs BOTTOM bin what does it mean for your plants?

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
MackMuurder
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Double post
Last edited by MackMuurder on Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MackMuurder
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Brand new here with a big question.

So I've got an HPS, CMH, COB\blurple, and a KINGBRITE QB with lm301h diodes all in the same tent

This is my first grow and im trying to educate myself as much as I can my first time

My question (and no I'm not interested in anyone's personal of HLGs QB vs CHINESE KNOCKOFFS I've heard it all, just want some truth about terminology)

What I really want to know is

-HLG uses gaurenteed top bins
-Chinese knockoffs apparently dont( even tho kingbrite is the most reputable supplier on alibaba and many growers on rollitup and thc farmer been buying off Jerry kingbrite for some time and out of 230 reviews his company has 4.9 out of 5 stars which would have to count for something I would hope )

What does the bin mean for your plants?
Top bin , low bin..is one more efficient at producing light? If so by how much exactly.

Or does it mean their more electrically efficient like can it mean they can be driven at lower wattage?

I always hear go with HLG for gaurenteed top bin.
But then I see people getting huge yeilds and quality with Chinese knockoffs..

So I guess im just curious what the general term means, and what it might mean for your plants.
Cheers
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

MackMuurder wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:41 am
Brand new here with a big question.

So I've got an HPS, CMH, COB\blurple, and a KINGBRITE QB with lm301h diodes all in the same tent

This is my first grow and im trying to educate myself as much as I can my first time

My question (and no I'm not interested in anyone's personal of HLGs QB vs CHINESE KNOCKOFFS I've heard it all, just want some truth about terminology)

What I really want to know is

-HLG uses gaurenteed top bins
-Chinese knockoffs apparently dont( even tho kingbrite is the most reputable supplier on alibaba and many growers on rollitup and thc farmer been buying off Jerry kingbrite for some time and out of 230 reviews his company has 4.9 out of 5 stars which would have to count for something I would hope )

What does the bin mean for your plants?
Top bin , low bin..is one more efficient at producing light? If so by how much exactly.

Or does it mean their more electrically efficient like can it mean they can be driven at lower wattage?

I always hear go with HLG for gaurenteed top bin.
But then I see people getting huge yeilds and quality with Chinese knockoffs..

So I guess im just curious what the general term means, and what it might mean for your plants.
Cheers
Decent knocks off grow really well, HLG pays extra to make sure they have the most electrically efficient LEDs, Bins can make a difference of upto 15%. With Samsung mid powers it is about 10%. 
Not sure why you trust any Alibaba reviews as they are not real. 

Your choice what you buy but you will often find that HLG do discount older models and pricing is not too far off what you would purchase from Alibaba for. 

If you want the newest and best technology with warranty to back it up it comes at a price. Technology from 2 years ago still grows awesome it just uses more electricity.

I belive that Samsung can not produce enough top bins and HLG take them all, so anyone claiming to be using the top bins is full of shit. Out of a production run of 1 million LEDs there are usually only about 80,000 top bins. HLG would be ordering over 5million LEDs from Samsung per order so that doesn't leave anything left over for Alibaba companies.
There are alot of real manufacturers that are not on Alibaba that would be also placing huge orders with Samsung. 

Alibaba only has half arsed companies as all the larger ones don't want to upset people like me that buy in bulk. It is not worth the risk to them to loose a customer like me for a few one off sales.
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
MackMuurder
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:54 am
Decent knocks off grow really well, HLG pays extra to make sure they have the most electrically efficient LEDs, Bins can make a difference of upto 15%. With Samsung mid powers it is about 10%.

Your choice what you buy but you will often find that HLG do discount older models and pricing is not too far off what you would purchase from Alibaba for.

If you want the newest and best technology with warranty to back it up it comes at a price. Technology from 2 years ago still grows awesome it just uses more electricity.

I belive that Samsung can not produce enough top bins and HLG take them all, so anyone claiming to be using the top bins is full of shit. Out of a production run of 1 million LEDs there are usually only about 80,000 top bins. HLG would be ordering over 5million LEDs from Samsung per order so that doesn't leave anything left over for Alibaba companies.
There are alot of real manufacturers that are not on Alibaba that would be also placing huge orders with Samsung.

Alibaba only has half arsed companies as all the larger ones don't want to upset people like me that buy in bulk. It is not worth the risk to them to loose a customer like me for a few one off sales.
Ok this is good to know thank you

As for baba reviews like I said this is my first grow and I'm trying to educate myself as much as possible between 4 different forums and different lighting technologies so all part of the learning process
MackMuurder
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:58 am

Sorry to bother you again but I need to understand this better now.

So samsung gets maybe 80,000 top bin per 1 million diodes..

HLG buys 5 mill at a time leaving none for anyone else

So what your saying is samsung has to produce 62 million diodes to get HLG their 5 million quota per order?

You mentioned you BELEIVED. Are you guessing here or do you know?
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

As he stated he believes, it is about the most educated guess you will get around though.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

@MackMuurder Without going into too much detail regarding color binning, if you read the data sheet properly you will see they have 3 brightness values for 3000K, they also have 3 voltage values.
1,000,000 ÷3 = 333,333 333,333÷3 = 111,111

That's before the MacAdam ellipse binning which HLG would probably be happy to accept most of them. It would end up being around 80,000 pcs that would be acceptable for HLG, no need to be too fussy with 2 step color binning for horticulture.
Samsung is only a small player in the LED market so it would be difficult for them to keep up top bins
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
Fat Freddy's Cat
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:10 pm
@MackMuurder Without going into too much detail regarding color binning, if you read the data sheet properly you will see they have 3 brightness values for 3000K, they also have 3 voltage values.

That's before the MacAdam ellipse binning which HLG would probably be happy to accept most of them. It would end up being around 80,000 pcs that would be acceptable for HLG, no need to be too fussy with 2 step color binning for horticulture.
Samsung is only a small player in the LED market so it would be difficult for them to keep up top bins
Der be Gold in dem der hills. Thanks!!
MackMuurder
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:10 pm

Cheers dude I do appreciate your responses.

Theres to much misinformation out there and I have alot of people asking me these types of questions and I'd like to have some solid answers for them

You've been great thanks
MackMuurder
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:02 am
I almost agreed with you until I wrote my own review and it was published immediately
Screenshot_20190927-171150_Alibabacom.jpg
So that means they have 5 out of 5 stars on 300+ reviews, and their real. Definately a worthy supplier to buy a nice medium bin board.
That's quite an accomplishment.
Wonder why everybody's on this alibaba witchhunt. Like anything do your research I guess