LEDs for a 10x20in tray

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
grumps
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I am growing live sphagnum moss (sphagnum rubellum) in a 1020 tray so that I can use it to top dress my plants. So far, I've been using a cheap LED panel from amazon, but it gets too hot and burns the moss, and it's too inefficient. Looking into the possibility of getting something better for the moss.

I'm looking for a light that can cover 10x20in with a PPFD of 200 or more. I can place the light as close to the tray as needed as long as the lights don't heat up enough to burn the moss. I'm thinking that having the light really close the the tray would be beneficial in maximizing the amount of light that gets uses.

Quantum boards seem like overkill as they're way brighter than what I'm looking for. LED strips could work, but the bridgelux EB's are longer than the tray so there could be wasted light.

Are there any other types of LED strips that could be used here? Are there any flexible/cuttable LED strips that are worth considering? Are there any other types of LEDs worth considering? And out of curiosity, would it be reasonable to put LEDs on a custom made-to-size PCB or is that a terrible idea? (I can design a basic PCB but wasn't sure if it's more effort than it's worth)
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Are you sure that it was temperature, not light intensity that burned the moss? A quick search did not reveil what mosses daily light dose (DLI) is, but it does not like direct sunlight, so I imagine its not too high.

I ran 2 2foot EB's with a 40w driver over a 40x80cm tray, I guess a bit less then 15x30inches. Herbs were perfect and salads burned their tips from too much light... For sure you will need a dimmer if you are about to study the right light level by experimentation.

My mother likes orchids, and I had thought about making a space for her to grow them in. I didn't get to it yet, but I had a theory that being a plant that hangs in the shade, orchids would like lots of green light. Green light makes it through the canopy of overhanging plants better then blue or red. A little reading on research with blue/green/red diodes shows orchids performed best with very high levels of green, which didn't surprise me.

I would not be surprised if moss was similar, in liking a little bit of an unusual spectrum. First round of googling suggested high K light sources. If I was really into moss, and wanted to understand, I would probably order one lime strip from cutter to compare with whatever white led I used.

For fitting strips take 2 1foot EB's, and instead of placing them straight, place them at a slight angle, and they will fit easily. The actual power will be set by the driver.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I have absolutely no idea what an idea spectrum would be for moss, I don't think it needs alot of light though.
I would reccomend 5000k optisolis as a spectrum though and adjust light levels from there.

5000K optisolis is a very balanced spectrum so your moss would get enough of what it needs to grow regarding spectrum but intensity is another thing
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
grumps
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Sphagnum bogs (example pic)are acidic and deprived of nutrients, which is why they don't grow almost any trees or tall foliage. Sphagnum can grow in full sun, and in my experience, growing it in shade leads to small/weak strands and poor coloration.

Since sphagnum is a moss and has no root system, I cover the trays with transparent paper as the high humidity helps it get sufficient water. The enclosed environment coupled with the high heat from the inefficient LEDs I'm using definitely makes it hot in there. When I first noticed the burning, I added a small temperature sensor into the tray and saw that it experienced temperatures of 35-40 C on a regular basis, which is too much. Sphagnum is best kept under 30 C.

It's really interesting that plants prefer different spectrums. I'm curious about this... are there any good readings to learn more about how to figure out what spectrum is best for a plant?

Using a few 1 ft EB strips could work, but I'm a bit worried that the corners won't get enough light if they're tilted. I saw other threads mention DIALUX and I'm wondering if I can use it to experiment with strip placement? If so, are there any ies files for the EB strips available somewhere?

TEKNIK, do the 5000k optisolis refer to individual LEDs or are there strips that use them? Sorry if this is a bad question!
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Optisolis refers to the name of the leds Nichia produce that have a very flat spectrum in 5000k

Only place I know of the produces strips from those leds is Cutter electronics

I don't have an IES file of those strips or bridgelux strips, I do have IES files other 560mm strips that you could place into DIALUX to check how spread is working. The spread will be the same regardless of led brands, the difference will be intensity but you can still easily work out the best spacing with them
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Different species of plants often prefer different spectrums, we know a fair bit about spectrums some plants prefer at different stages of growth but when we don't know I suggest starting with a true full spectrum that way your plants will take what they want out of it.
grumps
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

IES files for the 560mm strips sound great... please TEKNIK, I'd love to try to work out the spacing on DIALUX. Do you also have any IES files for 280mm strips?
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

grumps wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:21 pm
IES files for the 560mm strips sound great... please TEKNIK, I'd love to try to work out the spacing on DIALUX. Do you also have any IES files for 280mm strips?
I don't have any for 280mm, I could make one for you though based on the output of the cree strips. My software enables me to do a few tricks
grumps
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I'd be interested in trying to see which size works best. Can you please share the IES files for the 560mm and, if not too much hassle, the improvised ones for 280mm? Huge thanks TEKNIK!
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

grumps wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:42 pm
Sphagnum bogs (example pic)are acidic and deprived of nutrients, which is why they don't grow almost any trees or tall foliage. Sphagnum can grow in full sun, and in my experience, growing it in shade leads to small/weak strands and poor coloration.

Since sphagnum is a moss and has no root system, I cover the trays with transparent paper as the high humidity helps it get sufficient water. The enclosed environment coupled with the high heat from the inefficient LEDs I'm using definitely makes it hot in there. When I first noticed the burning, I added a small temperature sensor into the tray and saw that it experienced temperatures of 35-40 C on a regular basis, which is too much. Sphagnum is best kept under 30 C.

It's really interesting that plants prefer different spectrums. I'm curious about this... are there any good readings to learn more about how to figure out what spectrum is best for a plant?

Using a few 1 ft EB strips could work, but I'm a bit worried that the corners won't get enough light if they're tilted. I saw other threads mention DIALUX and I'm wondering if I can use it to experiment with strip placement? If so, are there any ies files for the EB strips available somewhere?

TEKNIK, do the 5000k optisolis refer to individual LEDs or are there strips that use them? Sorry if this is a bad question!
The easiest place to look up spectrum research is in the studies comparing ratios of blue/ green and red light.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"