IT'S ALIVE!!!! ( version 1.2 )

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

It's finally alive!

I am building a 8 QB build. 4 288 boards at 3500k on a HLG480h-C2100B. Then adding another 4 "enhanced spectrum" QB's (probably 3500k or 4000k with the extra reds) and another 480 driver(which ever matches so 4 boards are roughly 100 watts each.)

I used the RapidLED 4 x 4 canopy substrate with 3 rails. I have the boards space 12 inch to center of the QB from the ends. The boards are spaced across wise so I can fit 3 on a rail.(planning 3/2/3 per rail with 1 enhanced on the outer rails 2 on the middle rail) I think they are roughly 3inch spaced from each other and the ends.

This is my first real build. I put my 135W kit together but that was so simple I knew I wouldn't have any problems wiring it. The only problem I came across was the frame.. It is a little flimsy for my liking. If I didn't pick up on all four corners evenly the rails would fall out!!!! So a bunch of zip ties later I am feeling better about nothing crashing down!!! The rail systems are great it's just the outer frame that I don't like. Maybe I got the mess up that got mixed in.... or I just can't see the warps :)

Total cost was roughly 700 bucks. Frame and rails roughly 175. Boards & heat sinks roughly 325. The driver was 140. Then wire heat shrink screws other miscellaneous stuff 50-60 bucks.

I can't wait till I get the other 4 boards once the get released! Building your own anything is so much more satisfying than buying it :)

Cheers everyone :)
Attachments
IMG_2227.JPG
IMG_2227.JPG (589.07 KiB) Viewed 5149 times
IMG_2225.JPG
IMG_2225.JPG (786 KiB) Viewed 5149 times
IMG_2224.JPG
IMG_2224.JPG (1.19 MiB) Viewed 5149 times
IMG_2223.JPG
IMG_2223.JPG (1.37 MiB) Viewed 5149 times
IMG_2222.JPG
IMG_2222.JPG (1.28 MiB) Viewed 5149 times
IMG_2221.JPG
IMG_2221.JPG (1.12 MiB) Viewed 5149 times
IMG_2218.JPG
IMG_2218.JPG (1.02 MiB) Viewed 5149 times
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Excellent! That looks bright as hell. Did you supply the little grommets for wire pass throughs or did HLG? I have not gotten my hands on a 480H-C yet - i'll bet it's beefy as hell.

I'm really looking forward to seeing your results with this light (and the additional 4 boards when you get them). Thanks for sharing :idea:
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

:) It is bright as all heck lol. I only have it at 50% hanging up in my tent and in that pic. I found a 200+ count pack of multi size grommets on amazon for 8-10 dollars. I mentioned it in a email to Robin that they are useful if you plan on adjusting/moving/rewiring the boards around. So maybe we'll see them in the future with orders. Yea that 480H-C is pretty beefy.. it looks at lease twice as big as the 120 on my 135W kit and three times as heavy! :)

once I get the rest I plan of making a remote driver setup with all the bells and whistles! something else to try to figure out because putting lights together is much easier than I though...

oh yea I left extra wire between the bars incase I want to pull them out more :) I figure my ppfd not maxed.. but ill worry more about that once I got all 8 boards in...
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Good call on the extra wire. What sort of bells and whistles are you thinking for your remote setup?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

pwm dimming for the boards and extra monos/color pucks if I do go that route. built in power meter so I can see with out hooking up the multi :) some inter fans to keep that box cooler. maybe pwm fan control and add some fans over the boards.. making 2 or more drivers come out one 220 line.. stuff like that :)
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

a see thru case would be sweet also :)
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Cool! Sounds like a lot of fun little mini-projects.

Tune
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Aha! Found your topic on your QB build. :D
Where can I read more about the enhanced QB's?
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

on the HLG website there is a button at top saying QB project... all it says is expected time of release....

I e-mailed Robin about what they were think of doing with the enhanced boards.. they are trying to add some deep red to the QB's ( 660nm) probably figuring out how many... which rows to use..etc maybe some 450nm or 730nm thrown in the mix. that would be sweet!
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Tune wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:04 pm
Aha! Found your topic on your QB build. :D
Where can I read more about the enhanced QB's?
Last I heard from Robin is they are doing a 90 cri board. instead of adding 660 diodes. the bump in cri gives more reds. I'm waiting for a reply back with the spectrum graph for the 90 cri. or at lease that's how I understood his little msg. he sent me to RIU forum to check out NapalmD's 80 vrs 90 cri side by side grow journal.

http://www.rollitup.org/t/quantum-board ... 168/page-4