Heatsink option?

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
Chabbuddy
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Was thinking of possibly using a 4' section of this as a heat sink on a FB22b or 2x f562b. Probably running between .9 - 1.2a max with thermal tape as the backing.

https://8020.net/1050.html

Thoughts ... warnings .... will it be enough? My HSU 1" 'ers are barely even at roughly the same power.
Sativant
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

It looks like it would work pretty well A lot of thermal mass.
With the added benefit of the 80/20 hardware. I do think the light will get heavy quickly if it has a lot of strips in it.
Chabbuddy
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Good catch.

If the listed weights are correct per inch on the site, i should be under 30lbs total with frame and connectors.

My next issue is how to use the fasteners to connect them all together. Never used this stuff before so im sure im missing something obvious but by initial looks the fasteners were almost as expensive as the damn 4' lengths of aluminum. I wouldn't mind paying a little more for the aluminum and save a bunch of time drilling etc....but if the fasteners are that expensive then i may avoid just on pure principle.

Sure would be nice to have something not permanently attached that i could slide bars around a little to get even coverage etc...
garnier
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Fasteners are not that expensive. Can find many on eBay etc.

There is also profile 1640 which is just about same good for thicker strips...
Chinese Alibaba has got it I think
Chabbuddy
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Nice.

For the fasteners, i may be looking at the wrong items which could be why so expensive. Ive never used this stuff before.

If you have experience, what would you use to fasten these to a frame of 1010. I was planning on using some sort "L" shaped item so they could sit slightly below the 1010 frame (top of L would be 1010, the bottom of the L would be these |_____|). Or it could even sit inline with the inside tnut groove of the frame as well, like this: |------------|
Sativant
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Chabbuddy wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:03 pm
Good catch.

If the listed weights are correct per inch on the site, i should be under 30lbs total with frame and connectors.

Sure would be nice to have something not permanently attached that i could slide bars around a little to get even coverage etc...
That’s good. It would be nice to be able to move strips for best coverage. It’s something I’d like to do.
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

I’d love to build with this stuff too. I’ve used it on other non-LED projects and it’s great to work with. It’s crazy expensive per inch for the 80/20 though.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
Chabbuddy
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Honestly if you factor your time in drilling etc as money....its not that much more expensive.

Came to approx 250 in sinks from HSU vs 325 in the 80/20 stuff. Thats about 3hours of frame building / heatsink drilling time @ $25.00/hr. Plus a lot less aggrevation im guessing.

Still debating on it....gotta find some cheaper fasteners first.
Mingfatech
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

At present , one of the biggest technical problems of LED lighting fixtures is the problem of heat dissipation . The poor heat dissipation causes the LED driver power and electrolytic capacitors to become the shortcomings of the further development of LED lighting fixtures . Only exporting heat as soon as possible can effectively reduce the temperature of the cavity inside the LED lamp , in order to protect the power supply from working under a long-lasting high temperature environment , so as to prevent premature failure of the LED light source due to long-term high temperature work . Because the LED light source has no infrared rays and ultraviolet rays , the LED light source has no radiation heat dissipation function . The heat dissipation path of the LED lighting can only derive heat of a heat sink that is closely combined with the LED light bead plate . Radiators must have the functions of heat conduction , thermal convection , and heat radiation . In addition to being able to quickly transfer heat of the heat source of the surface of the heat sink , any heat sink must rely on convection and radiation to dissipate heat into the air . Heat conduction only solves the heat transfer pathway , and heat convection are the main function of the heat sink . The heat dissipation performance is mainly determined by the heat dissipation area , shape , and the ability of natural convection intensity . Heat radiation is only an auxiliary role . In general , if the distance from the heat source of the surface of the heat sink is less than 5mm , then as long as the thermal conductivity of the material are greater than 5 , the heat can be extracted . The rest of the heat dissipation must be dominated by heat convection . Most LED lighting sources still use low-voltage (VF=3.2V ) , high-current (IF=200-700mA ) . LED lamp beads . Due to high heat of operation , aluminum alloys with higher thermal conductivity must be used . Usually die-cast aluminum radiators , extruded aluminum radiators , stamped aluminum radiators . The die-casting aluminum radiator is a technology of pressure casting parts . The liquid zinc copper alloy is poured into the material inlet of a die casting machine and is die-casted by a die casting machine to cast a heat sink of a shape defined in advance by the die .LED cooling is very important
sweeper
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Wow Ming, that was a mouthful. Good points though.