Need help re-understanding the use of 10k ohm resistor wired before pot

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
HomerPepsi
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Hey all,

For a particular no cost piece together build, I am using 4x Citizen Amber COB CLU048-1212C4-22AL1K3 (min 31.8, typ 34.6, max 37.5) @ 34.6vf totaling 138.4vf.

These will be driven by an HLG-185H-C1400B ( 71V ~ 143V, 700ma ~ 1400ma) in series 4s. (or possibly a parallel 2s2p.... depending on a few external factors that I wont know until it is up).

I've ran this combo of hardware in both configuration's above (4s and 2s2p). And wiring is not an issue. Since I will be manually dimming, I am using a 100k pot. But the one thing I am looking at, since this driver has already been in use in the past, and having switched to digital systems to dim since, I am wondering if I should use a ___ (?)___ resistor wired to the pot (+ or - ? I am unsure) before connecting to the dimming wires?

I remember hearing about this back in the day (wiring a 10k ohm resistor) but never really understood why it was important other than for driver health and drivers not supposed to go below 10 percent (and using half-3/4 power, it was a non concern).

In the digital dimmers, 0-10% dim is running at 10% no matter the selection.

Can someone let me know? I am wondering for this specific build, if the 0-10% could actually be off, instead of 10%, but have not figured out if that is possible for a potentiometer.

Cheers,
Rocket Soul
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Usually the meanwell drivers are a little bit over spec, giving a little more current than what they are rated for if you leave dim leads open. If you put a 100k pot on the driver this bit of extra current is not accessible as it will cap current at 100%. Also some times the 100k pots can come in under 100k an so cap the current at even lower. Adding a 10k resistance in series will solve this but dimming wont go all the way to zero/lowest.

Another easier way of getting your driver to max output would be adding a switch for the circuit (even a 2 way wago would work): when the switch closes the circuit you get max output. When you see lights that has a "boost" function this is usually what it is: disconnecting the dimmer pot for full output.