Not getting full power

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
Sativant
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

My light is great, but it’s not making full power. From 6 LT-F564B strips paired with an HLG-480H-48B I expected to be able to get it running easily over 400 watts, but it currently tops out around 364 watts. 75% would be 386, but I’m not even getting there.
I’m attaching the copy of the build tool that shows my light data-
2AAAE68C-3E62-4183-88CB-E46D49345844.jpeg
sdfoster22
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Have you measured voltage of each strip?

Do you have a pic of how it's wired?

Do you have a potentiometer hooked up? If so, what kind?

The math on that driver says it should power 6 strips at 1.6a. For about 460w max. ( I'm not sure you can run them that hard.)
NothinYet is my nickname
Sativant
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

I haven't measured voltage yet of each strip. I've wired the strips in parallel. I have a 100K Ohm linear taper potentiometer hooked up (tried with and without a 10K Ohm resistor).
My LT-F564B-3x3 Light.jpg
sdfoster22
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

I would measure voltage and current running through the whole system, the voltage and current on individual strips. That might help determine where the fault lies.
NothinYet is my nickname
Sativant
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Yes- I'll see what that uncovers...
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

There are a lot of variables that go into those estimates. If your ambient temperature is different or you get a different voltage bin for your diodes, it will affect the output. I wouldn’t worry too much about power draw.

Also, are you taking these numbers right as soon as you plug the light in, or after running for a few hours? I would imagine the longer you leave them on, the more they’re going to draw and the closer they will get to that number.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
Sativant
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

I understand- but 80-100 watts shy of potential seems like a lot. If I leave it on as high as I can get it it eventually goes up to 380 Watts.
sdfoster22
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

I see you are in the USA. This may be a dumb question, but it's something I've been wanting to ask. Did you happen to buy the elg series driver instead of the hlg?
NothinYet is my nickname
Sativant
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

No - it’s the HLG.
Aolelon
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Make sure your potentiometer is actually 100k. If its not then it will not provide the 100% dimming. Some dimmers when shipped as 100k fall short. So I would check there. If you unhook the potentiometer it should provide 100% power all the time, so if you unhook the potentiometer does it then give you full power. if so that would be your problem. If not the problem stems elsewhere.