Use of "sticky" posts

When no other category makes sense.
bvolt
Forum's First Member!
Forum's First Member!
Reactions:

I was just wondering if the software running this forum was capable of allowing for "sticky" posts... I thought it might be useful to have a list of all distributors of DIY parts (Rapid, COBKITs, etc.)

I was curious which sites people were using... as for my Vero 29 SE(D) build (using HLG 320 1050), I have 5 of the 8 COBs I want to run, but can't find 2700Ks anywhere...

Thanks.
You might wanna double-check anything you've read here...
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Good idea, I can sticky a part source thread.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
majorana
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

My source is octopart.com ;)
bvolt
Forum's First Member!
Forum's First Member!
Reactions:

Hey majorana,

Wow - that's a powerful tool. I'd been looking for these 2700K Vero 29 SEs for a while and I found them with a single search...

Thank you very much!
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

I hadn't used Octopart for this either - I thought it was just for manuals. That's handy as hell.

What do you think the best way is to compile this list of sources? Start a thread and then update the first post with all the info that's submitted by everyone beneath it, then sticky it?
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
majorana
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Since Octopart does a meta-search and allows for quick and easy comparison between different sources I'm not even sure a full list is necessary.

But yes, start a post titled "Where to source components" (or whatever phrasing to the same extent), make it sticky, update it with whatever info, and allow discussion beneath.

Another thing that might be useful, and that Octopart can help with, is "ready made shopping lists" using the BOM feature. Just by way of example: https://octopart.com/bom-tool/T4TVofUH. Such a list, with different configurations of COB/mid-power LEDs matched with drivers/reflectors, can be a quick reference for the most recurring questions.
bvolt
Forum's First Member!
Forum's First Member!
Reactions:

Yeah, that sounds perfect.

And over time, as new distributors pop up, will you have the ability to modify that "first post"/landing page to include them?