unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

majorana wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 11:49 am
unkle_psycho wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 10:24 am
Does kingbrite have those small qb's that don't need much heatsinking? How much did you save going east?
Last time I checked Kingbrite doesn't deal with Samsung chips. Contact them if you'd like.

As for heat dissipation, that varies greatly. The HLG QBs only require a heatsink if driven beyond a certain point (which most prefer to pass), whereas COBs effectively always need a heatsink. When buying a knockoff it's harder to tell: if it's built to specification then you can trust to run it softly without a heatsink, but if the actual item contains less copper or has less efficient diodes (i.e., not the ones you paid for) heat will build up and become a problem.

I ended up paying $1.05/W for LEDs+drivers, once factoring in also all shipping and customs (the latter are 30% where I'm at.) I regret, however anything I might have "saved", as I was screwed over by Roget, the salesperson of Mufue.
Just looked back at teh thread and realized the price you payed....

I payed 250e, plus VAT, so I guess plus 20%, for 750w of Thomas Research Products drivers (10x75w) and a shit ton of vesta strips (9 x 2ft) (24 x 1ft)... No heatsink or other costs included thats 3w/e for drivers and strips.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
majorana
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

unkle_psycho wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:41 pm
Just looked back at teh thread and realized the price you payed....

I payed 250e, plus VAT, so I guess plus 20%, for 750w of Thomas Research Products drivers (10x75w) and a shit ton of vesta strips (9 x 2ft) (24 x 1ft)... No heatsink or other costs included thats 3w/e for drivers and strips.
€0.33/W is great. Wiring 10 drivers (in my case it would have been 13) is something I'm less envious of. Customs was the one big surcharge I didn't factor in when I put thru all of the orders. Which I should have remembered, because this isn't the first time, but that's another story :lol:

Off topic: Even if my lights aren't genuine lm561c's it seems the plants are generally favorable to them. Some flowers are only 5cm away and look happy enough. The strips get to low 40°C's, but the canopy is doing just fine. The no-heatsink thing seems to be working for the time being (won't be popping any bottles until it's over.)
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Yeah I could not believe the price when I counted it. Last year I started looking at leds and expected to pay 1-2$ per watt.

In my first build I put 3 drivers on the lamp, so I only connected the 2700k strips. The light was delightfully light until I put the drivers and it became really heavy. There would not even be space for the other 3 drivers, so I'll set them externally.

I think I will move the 6 drivers to grow veggies this autumn, and connect meanwells. I'll just keep the 4 drivers for side lighting, so I can light them gradually as the plant gains size.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
Tassetapir
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I live in Sweden and just ordered a led driver, a heatsink and a chip from digikey.
It was like 840SEK (81.8€ 96$). Free shipping since the order was over 430SEK.
It came really fast, i ordered friday and i had it monday delivered to my door.
I had to pay additional 250SEK (24.3€ 28.5$) in importcharges/taxes so little dissapointed. I asked them to put "gift" instead of stating the real price but nope.

But if someone theoretically might be going to build bigger light in the future. To replace say 6kw or more of hps. And aim for the best cob chips, mean well drivers and plan to pull about 50w/cob, so heat sinks for that.

Where would be the place to go order if you live in europa? (Yes thats how its spelled in Sweden (Sverige), Europa)
alreaaaa
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hi

I would go with SmiLED, or TGL, or Rubol.

SmiLED guy is kinda cool

Have a nice day man =)
Osash78
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Tassetapir wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:00 pm

Where would be the place to go order if you live in europa? (Yes thats how its spelled in Sweden (Sverige), Europa)
www.TME.eu is the best place ever to buy a driver in Europa :D...