Grower
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

majorana wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:07 am
Grower wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:39 pm
Cool, keep me updated I may be interested.
(my tent is 60x60cm or 2x2ft and I was thinking to get 560mm EB strips gen 2, these would give me a full coverage) Did you already think at how you want the pcb to be made?
My plan is for a very straightforward, uniform 3000K@90CRI for flower. I might also get 5000K@80CRI for veg if pricing is particularly appealing, but will probably stick with the 4000K@80CRI Vero29 COBs I have.

I'm afraid insisting on 90CRI is already going to complicate things enough, given a reported overall shortage. Probably going to skip any "special mix" of 700nm (Emerson) and UV-B (trichome) simply because I wasn't convinced the hype is backed up by actual data. I wish I could conduct such a properly controlled experiment myself, but my grow space isn't much bigger than yours.

It might be better to communicate using Telegram/Signal if you're up for that. Feel free to send me the contact in a private message.
I don't have telegram anymore, damn no one is using it here (and I hate whatsapp). Any other way? Can't we simply create a thread here? I like RIU forum but every single thread turn out to be a quarrel beteween children and out of topic. (We should also ask to admin what he thinks about it since he is in contact with hlg)
Dunno if 90cri is really necessary, it is cool but it is already hard to get real lm561c! I prefer getting more lm/w with 80cri and supplementing with additional red from single diodes. I am also using far red but by now I have too many cables around. If I can get a board with all leds together that would be great.

What to do with heatsinks? with strips I can use aluminium profiles but with pcb I need to find proper heatsinks...
Give this a check! https://meijiuled.en.alibaba.com/produc ... c0feReHGsg
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

For what it’s worth, Robin from HLG told me that LM301B (80 CRI) or Nichia NF2 (90 CRI) boards cost about 50% more than LM561C boards to produce.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
Grower
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

LEDG wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:51 pm
For what it’s worth, Robin from HLG told me that LM301B (80 CRI) or Nichia NF2 (90 CRI) boards cost about 50% more than LM561C boards to produce.
So are you with us talking about Chinese clones of hlg products?
Btw did you tested any hlg board with no heatsink?
majorana
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Better parts cost more, that's a given. I would kindly dispute the premium Robin suggested with the quotes I got.

In other news, due to personal reasons I'll be starting my grow later than planned, so I'll be pushing back the order placement to mid-March. With any luck prices/availability will be better by then.
Grower
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

majorana wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:55 am
Better parts cost more, that's a given. I would kindly dispute the premium Robin suggested with the quotes I got.

In other news, due to personal reasons I'll be starting my grow later than planned, so I'll be pushing back the order placement to mid-March. With any luck prices/availability will be better by then.
May I know how much you have been quoted? Only boards or heatsinks too?
Shipping is 70usd for me (2 boards, heatsinks, driver).
majorana
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

MeanWell drivers don't come any cheaper when ordered through Alibaba, so I just Octopart for the cheapest supplier there. They're also pretty heavy, needlessly adding to the shipping cost from China.

10 units of 288 diodes of 561C @ $53, 100 units for $33. 301B @ 20% markup. Pretty much all suppliers conflate to the same $/diode, however presented (denser/sparser PCBs, strips, etc.) Heatsink for this 288-PCB is at $6/piece.

Priority shipping from China, regardless of the weight, wouldn't go under $50. I haven't inquired about the shipping cost for a bulk order, but given the weight of PCBs it wouldn't be much higher than what you got quoted for 2 units. It's part of the advantage of placing a bulk order.
Grower
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

majorana wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:27 pm
MeanWell drivers don't come any cheaper when ordered through Alibaba, so I just Octopart for the cheapest supplier there. They're also pretty heavy, needlessly adding to the shipping cost from China.

10 units of 288 diodes of 561C @ $53, 100 units for $33. 301B @ 20% markup. Pretty much all suppliers conflate to the same $/diode, however presented (denser/sparser PCBs, strips, etc.) Heatsink for this 288-PCB is at $6/piece.

Priority shipping from China, regardless of the weight, wouldn't go under $50. I haven't inquired about the shipping cost for a bulk order, but given the weight of PCBs it wouldn't be much higher than what you got quoted for 2 units. It's part of the advantage of placing a bulk order.
I only asked for the shipping price of one set. But Yea I usually look at tme.eu for mw drivers and price is the close.

I thought 10 boards would have been cheaper Btw. If you don't buy heatsink from che same pcb supplier where would you get them? Pcb are lightweight but heatsinks are not and this would drive the shipping price high
majorana
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Grower wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:13 pm
I only asked for the shipping price of one set. But Yea I usually look at tme.eu for mw drivers and price is the close.

I thought 10 boards would have been cheaper Btw. If you don't buy heatsink from che same pcb supplier where would you get them? Pcb are lightweight but heatsinks are not and this would drive the shipping price high
The QB288 is $148. That's 280% more expensive for an order of 10 units (and 450% for an order of 100). 10 units is actually pretty small-scale: a single 5'*5' tent can already need 4-5 units.

As for the heatsinks, I'd see how much exactly they cost (shipping included), and I'm already guesstimating a total of $8-9. I'll get a quote from a local supplier to see I'm not being totally ripped off, and then probably go with the Shenzhen PCB+heatsink combo.
Grower
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

majorana wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:25 pm
Grower wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:13 pm

The QB288 is $148. That's 280% more expensive for an order of 10 units (and 450% for an order of 100). 10 units is actually pretty small-scale: a single 5'*5' tent can already need 4-5 units.

As for the heatsinks, I'd see how much exactly they cost (shipping included), and I'm already guesstimating a total of $8-9. I'll get a quote from a local supplier to see I'm not being totally ripped off, and then probably go with the Shenzhen PCB+heatsink combo.
I said they are pricy because I got different quotations from alibaba but they were probably Lm561b instead of c.
Someone on RIU ordered from Shenzen Meijiu and is waiting for it, he will take some macro shoots and see if they are genuine lm561c.

At 8-10$ per heatsink i think that's a good price
majorana
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Grower wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:59 pm
I said they are pricy because I got different quotations from alibaba but they were probably Lm561b instead of c.
Someone on RIU ordered from Shenzen Meijiu and is waiting for it, he will take some macro shoots and see if they are genuine lm561c.

At 8-10$ per heatsink i think that's a good price
Besides the model (561C/B, etc.) there's also the question of binning (S5/S6, etc.).

I only considered quotes from 4 suppliers that inspired trust (i.e., many years in the business, high transaction, etc.). They all converged at approximately the same $/diode. I imagine you can get even cheaper -- perhaps a new factory will offer competitive pricing trying to push forward -- but that involves a higher risk when it comes to quality.

Macro photography is nice, but the only real way to know what you're getting is to test the output.