Updates and Theme Changes 05-15-2020

Forum announcements.
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Hi all,

I'm doing some experimenting with a new theme for the forum. Let me know if you run into any issues and what you think.
  • I've also made changes to allow users to upload much larger avatars and have them resized automatically. Max filesize is now 256KB. You can ignore the maximum size in pixels the page calls for since it gets resized anyway.
  • I've noticed a bug where you cannot delete multiple PMs. Until this gets patched, as a workaround, you have to go into each one and delete it individually.
  • I'm reorganizing the forum categories to better-suit the content people tend to post here. Mid-power diodes are king now, so I've split that category up into "Strips" and "Boards", and renamed the "COBs" category to "COBs and Other LED" to catch whatever other form factors people might want to discuss.
  • There's hardly any activity in the 3 "Grow" forums, so I'm going to compress them down to a single forum and focus on the bread and butter of this site - lighting.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
ganjah
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Updates are welcome. Thank you! Your proposed changes/consolidations sound good.

I'd suggest a couple other things if you can modify them in the phpbb admin control panel:

1) Remove the black PROFILE sidebar. I can't find any setting to remove it.

2) Reinstate the likes for posts/PMs. I'm not a likes whore, but I do enjoy being able to say "Thanks!" when warranted and without necessarily responding to a post/thread.

3) Allow attachments to PMs. I'd love to be able to send pics/files in PM. Not that big of a deal if not, tho.

Other than that, feels fresh around here. Thanks for sprucing up the place. :)
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

ganjah wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 3:37 pm
Updates are welcome. Thank you! Your proposed changes/consolidations sound good.

I'd suggest a couple other things if you can modify them in the phpbb admin control panel:

1) Remove the black PROFILE sidebar. I can't find any setting to remove it.

2) Reinstate the likes for posts/PMs. I'm not a likes whore, but I do enjoy being able to say "Thanks!" when warranted and without necessarily responding to a post/thread.

3) Allow attachments to PMs. I'd love to be able to send pics/files in PM. Not that big of a deal if not, tho.

Other than that, feels fresh around here. Thanks for sprucing up the place. :)
1. I agree, it's kinda nice without the side bar.
2. Done. Forget to re-enable after updating forum software.
3. Done. Didn't realize this wasn't enabled.

Thank you for your feedback.

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
ganjah
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Looking good!

Are there any themes you can enable so we can modify the all white forum? I always prefer a dark theme, personally, so it's not blinding at night and doesn't use lots of power on mobile devices. Not a big deal either way tho.
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

ganjah wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 6:48 pm
Looking good!

Are there any themes you can enable so we can modify the all white forum? I always prefer a dark theme, personally, so it's not blinding at night and doesn't use lots of power on mobile devices. Not a big deal either way tho.
I quite like dark themes as well - I'll have to find another paid theme that looks nice in dark mode and get it installed. The free ones are pretty clunky.

Edit - this one looks decent in dark mode: https://themeforest.net/item/milk-multi ... e/16119149

ganjah
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I dunno if I'd pay for a theme, but I'm poor so my conception of money may be different than yours. :)

Another thing to checkmark in the admin CP is opening links in new window/tab. This keeps people at your site but opens a new window/tab for links that take them offsite.
randorson
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Thank you for providing the forum!
randorson
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

ganjah wrote:
Looking good!

I use the free browser extension "Dark Reader"

https://darkreader.org/
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Added a dark theme as default and implemented an extension to force external links to open in a new tab. Thanks to @ganjah for all the great ideas.

ganjah
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

randorson wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 9:59 pm
ganjah wrote:
Looking good!

I use the free browser extension "Dark Reader"

https://darkreader.org/
Thanks a ton @randorson for that. What a revelation!

And thanks to @LEDG for the dark theme. Cookin' with gas now!