Hello From Michigan

New? Say hi!
MaxHeadRoom
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hi Everyone,

I am new to growing just started in May. I live in a Medical Marijuana State and started growing for cannabis for medical reasons (Cancer since 2008). I am tired of all the medicine they are giving me and decided to give growing a try. I am 2 months into a grow and need a good light to flower with. I have been watched most of the GrowMau5 videos and got interested in the Quantum Boards offered by HLG. Mostly for cost and efficiency. So when they became available this month I ordered 4 QB304 boards 3000k and matching heat sinks and want to build a light similar to there HLG 550. I am totally new to this field so I may need lots of help and I'm hoping this forum will be a big help.

When I started I knew nothing about LED lighting so I purchased the cheap no name China LED lights off of Ebay.
I have 2-1200w lights and 1-1000w light and 1-600w light. Total true wattage of all these lights is 390watts. They are working for now but very soon, when I go into flower stage, I will need much more power.

So after a lot of investigation I decided to go with the Quantum Boards and build one myself to save cost.
So far I have 4 QB304 on order since June 18. HLG is the slowest company I have ever ordered from.
I am going to run 2 boards in a series with a Mean Well 240H-C1050B drivers which I purchased from Rapid LED along with dimming Pots for each driver. I will mount all this on an aluminum frame.

Wish Me Luck :)

I will start a build journal when everything comes in
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Welcome Maxheadroom Growing your own anything turns into a really fun hobby. I hear ya about being sick of all the medication... I should be on a crap load of stuff for all sorts of different things but cannabis solves them all!!! And every time I hear someone said its "medical" it's normally junk that doesn't work for me.... So do it yourself because you can control what you put in and what comes out.. I also raise/process my own meat and veggies. It's always more rewarding knowing that you did it.. not something that has been mass produced and looses quality.

I'll be watching to see how you like the 304's... I'm starting out with similar set up of 4 288's on a 480h-c2100b.. I liked the math with the 54v better.. I could use the bigger newer drivers that should run more efficient. over running 4+ drivers once I finish the build ( plan on using 4 3500k 288's on the 480h-c2100 then adding 4 of the enhanced spectrum boards once they get released with another what 450 wattage driver fits best.

I was a totally noob to LED before watching Growmau5 videos also.. About HLG you gota figure that Robin and Steve are pretty busy filling the orders( I believe its just the two of them running it)... I must of got lucky ordering the first hour of the first day they had restock...( or it was because I just got 2 kits a few weeks before) I ordered the 14th they were shipped by the 19th I received everything maybe 3-4 days after that( they ship from outside Columbus OH.) so it was quick. On the site they say its a max of 2week lead time.. so it should be shipped soon. Once shipped it wont take long to get to MI..( that 3-4days was to Western NY)

good luck with the build and I can't wait to see how they do for ya... I forgot to ask 4 x 4?? 5 x 5?? :) I'm planning that 8 QB build for a 5 x 5 tent with the rapidLED 4 x 4 frame
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Thanks for signing up, max. I'm happy to hear that you live somewhere that allows you to give this a try. Best of luck with your current grow!

We have a lot of people running QBs on this forum and some real smart cookies, so if you need help, just ask, and we'll get you sorted out for sure. Sounds like you've made some solid choices already for components; installation is pretty easy with those boards. Here's hoping your HLG gear arrives quickly, and please be sure to share some pictures of your build :idea:
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
bvolt
Forum's First Member!
Forum's First Member!
Reactions:

Switching to QBs should be like night/day, esp 4 boards... you'll have some amazing PPFD levels.

If you're growing in "soil", I have to recommend Michigan Made Mix / Michigan Marijuana Mix (M3). It's all I use indoors.

Good luck!
You might wanna double-check anything you've read here...
MaxHeadRoom
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I am doing an aeroponics grow, which was not recommended for a first time grower, but I built one anyway and everything is going great. So that gave me the confidence to build this light. I read and research for 2 or 3 months than choose what I think is best. Still waiting on QB boards. Its been 10 days since order.
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

I've been chatting with Robin with HLG and he says they are doing nothing but packing orders all day right now.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
bvolt
Forum's First Member!
Forum's First Member!
Reactions:

You should check back with HLG today... I had a tracking # waiting for me.

When I get home from the office Friday, I'll have a 5000K 135w kit and a 3000K 260w kit waiting for me. I've even got a particular specimen picked out for the veg light, I'm going to throw up a picture (in a different section), this is so strange.
MaxHeadRoom
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Did you order those kits or are they just sending them to you? :o

As of 9:00 this morning (6-29) the order is still unfulfilled :? If anyone can help expedite the order, my order number is HLG #1378. 4 - QB304 @ 3000K, and 4 - Heat sinks.

Or maybe they can throw in a old kit for making me wait so long :D :mrgreen: LOL

I will be advertising for them in another forum and this one too.
bvolt
Forum's First Member!
Forum's First Member!
Reactions:

Yeah MI, I'm hoping for some better luck with HLG in the future.
MaxHeadRoom
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

They really need to hire some help if they are that far behind