Heating in the winter

Discuss garden automation systems and software here, including commercial products or Raspberry Pi and Arduino DIY setups.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Cant you create some kind of sealed space? I'm planning to isolate my grow area in the same way you isolate a house against cold, so basicly build a wooden frame and stuff it something like this: https://www.rakentaja.fi/artikkelit/img ... _ver-1.jpg

Then I will not need to worry about heating, because the heat is not lost. Just control humidity and co2, and should be sorted.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
ertrude
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

One regularly neglected factor that adds to the decrease of warm air flow is the blockage of vents and relief of air spread because of furniture. In spite of the fact that it may not appear much, rooms that hold sofas and seats can keep the stream of warm air from entering the space. What this does is prevents temperatures from achieving wanted levels and unnecessarily costs property holders cash.

After some time as blockages remain, the framework needs to work harder to give legitimate warming. This puts a strain on it, which can prompt more quick breakdown of the HVAC framework. Notwithstanding restricting flow, the check harms the furniture also. To consider more noteworthy warmth stream, experience your rooms and search for any furniture that could be blocking vents. This incorporates floor coverings and even shades. Cleaning them up and taking into account warmth to circle will make your rooms more agreeable.
BillJackson
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Among the products mentioned on the list, which one is the best?
https://householdneed.com/best-grow-tent/
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

BillJackson wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 4:24 pm
Among the products mentioned on the list, which one is the best?
https://householdneed.com/best-grow-tent/
The whole list is ridiculous. It's probably just someone who thought they found a clever way to sell stuff. If your looking for a tent, just describe your needs, and people will be glad to give you advise.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
noah21
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

The best trick to warm the inner space of your tent during winter season is that you can use small garage heater like this King Electric's KBP1230.
Nuggie
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

I have two heating ducts in my grow space, one that goes into my grow room and the other was a run meant for the upstairs. I disconnected the run for the upstairs and it is now rerouted into my grow space for two heat runs. Now its warm in my basement grow room, it ranges from 18C at night to 26C during day, the cherry on top is my programmable thermostat for the house now runs the heat cycle for my grow room indirectly. Had to tinker with blocking one more vent upstairs to get desired temps in grow room. Figured it would be cheaper to use extra gas rather than extra electricity with a dedicated heater. I will compare when I get the next utility bill but I think this will be a cheaper alternative.
If your aunt had balls she'd be your uncle.
Roost
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I use to keep my room heated gpu mining. It's a big investment in computer hardware and im not sure how profitable it is these days. I was profiting roughly $80cad a week while pulling 1000w from the wall before bitcoin crashed. Not a good solution im sure, just a funny experience.
Kiwi_Jezza
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

A decent seedling heat mat sitting underneath some concrete paving stones does a good job. Acts like a heatsink and regulates temperature without having the dangers of more conventional heaters. Did the trick for me anyway.
Wookie
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Underfloor heating is the way to go, believe me. It's cheap as well. Much cheaper than those mats they sell specifically for propagation. Your root zone temps are more important than your ambient temps to a large degree.

Underfloor heating's saved my ass a couple of times. The difference in growth and health when you focus on providing heat to the roots rather than the air, is clear.

Get a roll-out mat and hook it up to an inkbird thermostat
Booyaga
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Buy an obsolete bitcoin miner 🤘

They are cheap, gives off tons of hot air, and they pay you back some of the expenses 👍

I've got one to heat up my basement.

It uses 1750w, heats more than a 2kw heater, and pays me back 60$/month 👍