Automated control system - any experience or directions?

Discuss garden automation systems and software here, including commercial products or Raspberry Pi and Arduino DIY setups.
hideouspenguinboy
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I use Mycodo on a raspberry pi, connected to a bunch of relays.

Through it I monitor temp and humidity. My main lights and far red lights are set up on a timer. My heat/AC and vents turn on and off depending on temp/humidity. All of these can be monitored thru the web interface on a graph. If temp/humidity ever reach dangerous levels, it emails me.

In the future I'll add moisture, light, and CO2 sensors so I can automate top feed watering and CO2. (I'll also put the vents on controllers that play well with said CO2) And by then I'll finally buy a humidifier. (;

Ask me any questions you have!
bvolt
Forum's First Member!
Forum's First Member!
Reactions:

hideouspenguinboy wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:48 pm

Through it I monitor temp and humidity. My main lights and far red lights are set up on a timer. My heat/AC and vents turn on and off depending on temp/humidity. All of these can be monitored thru the web interface on a graph. If temp/humidity ever reach dangerous levels, it emails me.

In the future I'll add moisture, light, and CO2 sensors so I can automate top feed watering and CO2. (I'll also put the vents on controllers that play well with said CO2) And by then I'll finally buy a humidifier. (;

Did you write the program running on the R-Pi, or were you able to buy and modify something?
You might wanna double-check anything you've read here...
hideouspenguinboy
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

You install Raspian, and then Mycodo https://github.com/kizniche/Mycodo

That's it! The only thing that I screwed up was that the timers are literal. (ON from 12pm-12am means exactly that. You have to have a separate OFF timer. It's a good thing in case of power failure, but I didn't know and had 24hr light for a day. (; )
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

hideouspenguinboy wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:48 pm

What sensors are you using to monitor humidity and temp?
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
hideouspenguinboy
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

So, the program has a list of supported sensors. If you check out that link it should give you the full list. Also, if there was a new sensor you were into, you could probably convince the maker to add it. It's mostly stuff you can get on Adafruit.
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

hideouspenguinboy wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:05 pm
So, the program has a list of supported sensors. If you check out that link it should give you the full list. Also, if there was a new sensor you were into, you could probably convince the maker to add it. It's mostly stuff you can get on Adafruit.
Which, in particular, do you use? Just curious.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
majorana
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

I bought DHT22/AM2302 (€5 on Amazon), still didn't get around to use it. It's the one that repeatedly came up when looking for one.

I wonder about writing the guy behind Mycodo to add pH/TDS sensor (+peristaltic pump correction) support. That's the holy grail there. I guess I should get acquainted with this GitHub world first.
hideouspenguinboy
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Currently I'm only using DHT22 's.

As for adding new pH/TDS, I bet he would consider some help to add those features. OpenSource community stuff and all. I can't imagine it would be super hard to import code from other people open projects using it. I'll certainly be looking at that in like.... 6 months. Maybe I'll learn the language to help out unless someone does it before I get to it!
mrNLK
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hey guys!

I'm actively designing a light build ad hoping to put incorporate something that allows my fixtures to connect with the ChilLED. Do you know Raspberry Pi has the capability to decipher and send information/data to a central controller. I have a huge space to cover and don't want to be manually operating 100+ fixtures.

Thanks!
hideouspenguinboy
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

The raspberry pi is a straight up linux computer. If you can find out what they use, I'm positive you can. It's just finding a program to do it for you or building it yourself... until you know what it uses, I can't even begin to search. (I want ChilLED tech real bad, but it's out of my price range currently)