Using PIDs instead of thermostats

Discuss garden automation systems and software here, including commercial products or Raspberry Pi and Arduino DIY setups.
medmaker
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hello,

A while back, I built a heat-treating oven for use in knife-making. It used a PID controller.

A PID controller is a "Proportional, Integral, and Derivative" controller. Basically, instead of on/off, it allows for (layman's terms) ramping of temps.

In my current unautomated setup, using Inkbird controllers, when the humidity hits a certain low-point, it triggers the dehumidify option. This stays on until the controller hits the "off" level (which is actually the sum of two numbers, the humidity setting, and the allowed differential).

The problem is that because this is dependent upon air flow, it will always overshoot the target. So, I have to reverse engineer and lower the settings until the "overshoot" is accounted for. The problem is that I cannot hold a really tight tolerance on humidity.

A PID controller learns how to ramp things up, and when to turn it off, so that the "afterflow" is accounted for, and it will not exceed the upper limit.

I share this because I hope that we can find a way to incorporate PID controllers into the Home Assistant automation project. :)
Baalial
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hi, actually I'm using PID in my terrarium but it's an Omron device and it's great, it keeps temperature with a maximum drift of 0.1°C, but I want to move it to HA. I've seen there's a PID node you can add in NodeRed, but I think you have to tweak P, I and D parameters because it seems there's not a self calibration. I've not yet implemented it so I can't give you a feedback, but it can be a starting point.
Shimbob
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Mycodo, which is software for RaspberryPis originally for controlling mycology grow chambers but now for growing anything, has a PID controller feature.

It will even do pid on a pwm signal, meaning it settles on a fan speed that best maintains a steady state, instead of the constant pulsing on/off.

At least theoretically, I never quite got it to work and am using the regular thermostats.