Anyone interested in an Apogee Quantum Sensor Rental?

Discuss garden automation systems and software here, including commercial products or Raspberry Pi and Arduino DIY setups.
Ted
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Hello,

I just got an Apogee SQ-120 quantum sensor from ebay. I have to do some more measurements to do, but Ive figured out what settings I need to be at for about 1000 ppfd. I was going to put it back up on ebay when Im done with it, but I was wondering if anyone was interested in renting it? That’s probably a question for LG if this setting is even appropriate, but wanted to get a sense if anyone is interested in something like that.
Attachments
41DD7A27-715C-4507-A406-DBCAAE5B4530.jpeg
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I like the idea of having a forum sensor that could be mailed around to the people that could/would chip in and respect the idea behind it... or some sort of donation button that could allow you to rent meters/testing equipment through the forum... shipping might get tricky 😁

by the way how do you like your Klein mm400?? I need a new on an was looking at that... the mm600 and the cheapest Fluke model...

cheers man
oozing
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Ted you're such a darling ;)
Have you stopped and thought about the damage the different postal services could do to your precious meter?
This meter will have a high mileage and will definitely get treated rough.
You'll have to insure it..
Find a way out of this buddy..
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

I think it’s a great idea. There’s a good chance it’ll take some dings and it’d require some thinking to iron out the shipping and whatnot but if you’re willing to take the risk, I guarantee there are tons of people that would love the chance to use the meter without having to pay for one outright.

To those reading this, if you’re interested, speak up!
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
Ted
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

oozing wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:37 pm
Ted you're such a darling ;)
Have you stopped and thought about the damage the different postal services could do to your precious meter?
This meter will have a high mileage and will definitely get treated rough.
You'll have to insure it..
Find a way out of this buddy..
Ive been thinking a little bit about how it would work. There are some aquarium websites that rent Apogee sensors, but they were all out when I was inquiring. The deal is you pay upfront the cost of a new one, and then when you return it you get a refund of that amount minus a weekly rate of like $20.

Like I mentioned Im pretty much done using it. Also, this particular sensor isnt very expensive, compared to what you can spend. You can buy this sensor new on rapidled for $155 and I got it used for half that. I would like to make that back, but its not a big deal.

I like JGG’s idea of it being something for the forum, and that way any proceeds can help the site, and maybe ameliorate Mrs LG’s attitude toward her husbands hobbies 😀.

Pretty much everyone coming to this site either needs or wants one of these, so I can easily see the demand.
Ted
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Jolly Green Giant wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:10 pm
I like the idea of having a forum sensor that could be mailed around to the people that could/would chip in and respect the idea behind it... or some sort of donation button that could allow you to rent meters/testing equipment through the forum... shipping might get tricky 😁

by the way how do you like your Klein mm400?? I need a new on an was looking at that... the mm600 and the cheapest Fluke model...

cheers man
Shipping would be a little tricky, especially to those north of the wall 😀 (sorry Im binging game of thrones right now, in season 4).

I like the klein alot, ive had one other multimeter that was a piece of junk, so this was a great improvement. There a couple of things I had to get used to, but that was mostly due to my own ignorance.
oozing
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

@Ted do you have a mileage cap on shipping?
I'm 6000-7000 miles from you. :P
Ted
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

oozing wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:12 pm
@Ted do you have a mileage cap on shipping?
I'm 6000-7000 miles from you. :P
Thats a good point,

Just because of the cost and time involved, Id be only willing to ship to the lower 48 and possibly Canada. I dont know if its makes sense to ship to canada due to the cost, but the US postal service will ship up there without duties and Id have to see how much that would cost.
secondhandname
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

yeah I would totally be into this. I've been looking at buying one to help set up my new flower room, but renting one sounds like a better idea since I would be spending what, like 350$ for a device im going to use for a day or two.
Takeshy
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I wish I could have one. I can't find it anywhere on Europe :/