HLD driver help wiring the dimmer

Discuss garden automation systems and software here, including commercial products or Raspberry Pi and Arduino DIY setups.
F.N. led
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

alienfarts687 wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 9:06 am
I just saw these kits from Meiju on Alibaba, and it looks like you can use that dimmer somehow. It hooks up to the leads from the driver on one end, but the photo doesn't show where the other end goes. Maybe it's to 240v mains to power the device? If that's the case, I would advise extreme caution if you want to attempt wiring that remote dimmer. I don't know they wouldn't just use DC power with a wall wart. That would be far simpler and safer for consumers.
Could you explain DC power with a wall wart can I go that route?
Aolelon
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Just get a 100k linear potentiometer to dim. Its easy and hassle free. Also that looks like a PWM. You would hook the dimmer leads to the 0v-10v and then power it with 110v im pretty sure.
alienfarts687
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

F.N. led wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 8:57 pm
alienfarts687 wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 9:06 am
I just saw these kits from Meiju on Alibaba, and it looks like you can use that dimmer somehow. It hooks up to the leads from the driver on one end, but the photo doesn't show where the other end goes. Maybe it's to 240v mains to power the device? If that's the case, I would advise extreme caution if you want to attempt wiring that remote dimmer. I don't know they wouldn't just use DC power with a wall wart. That would be far simpler and safer for consumers.
Could you explain DC power with a wall wart can I go that route?
If it's wired for AC power, you can't just plug a DC wall wart into it. It depends on how they designed the dimmer, but I thought I saw 110vac markings on the picture above. Trying to hack it to use DC power wouldn't be trivial, and it would kind of defeat the purpose of making this dimmer "safe" since you'd have to mess around with mains voltage anyway.

If you do want to use one of these dimmers though, for the love of God put it in a well-protected project box. The thought of a mains transformer exposed like that sends shivers down my spine.
Aolelon
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

To use this dimmer, it needs it's own power cord. That's how PWM dimmers work, you put the power cord into the LIn and NIn and the dimmer wires into 0v -10v and it will work.