New POW R2 from Sonoff.

Discuss garden automation systems and software here, including commercial products or Raspberry Pi and Arduino DIY setups.
kunkgrow
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

unkle_psycho wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 9:02 pm
So I could use this as a dimmer? can it control multiple drivers or does each one need its own? Does it do sunsets, and how do Í know if it fits my particular driver?
Unfortunately there is still no Sonoff solution for 1-10v or PWM dimming.
POW R2 is only an ON Off relay.
Professor Xavier
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

kunkgrow wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 12:19 pm
unkle_psycho wrote:
So I could use this as a dimmer? can it control multiple drivers or does each one need its own? Does it do sunsets, and how do Í know if it fits my particular driver?
What do you suggest and why?
Grower
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Professor Xavier wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 2:36 pm

About pwm dimming?
A potentiometer is the easiest way.

For an automated dimming I would say a mcu like the ones used in arduino boards could work with the right hardware
kunkgrow
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Professor Xavier wrote:
kunkgrow wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 12:19 pm
unkle_psycho wrote:
Amelech stuff seems legit, works well and via Wifi! Check greengenes http://www.pacificlightconcepts.com/pro ... s-control/

You need the Wifi HUB and 1 controller for each dimming lead you wish to control.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I saw a lot of led controllers, especially for aquariums for sale on ali baba.... sorry my ignorance. None of them said anything about being tied to a specific driver. I'm pretty ok with manual dimming and timers, but would some cheap controller manage timed dimming for an 'odd' driver (Thomas Research Products), or even a group of them, since I have ten.

Only real benefit I know I would get is less moisture through the night in flowering period, with the sunset...
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
kunkgrow
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

you just have to know how does your driver dim? Is it resistance , pwm, 0-10v, Dali?
Then choose a controller compatible with the technology.
Most dimmable MeanWell drivers for example are both resistance , pwm and 0-10v compatible
alienfarts687
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Grower wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 4:03 pm
Professor Xavier wrote:

About pwm dimming?

For an automated dimming I would say a mcu like the ones used in arduino boards could work with the right hardware
I'm working on a solution with an ESP8266 microcontroller. It's Arduino compatible. The biggest problem is that Arduinos usually run on 3.3v or 5v, not 10v. Currently I'm investigating a dual-supply digital potentiometer or a DAC, but you need to isolate the two circuits somehow.
Grower
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

alienfarts687 wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 1:26 pm
Grower wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 4:03 pm
Professor Xavier wrote:

About pwm dimming?

I'm working on a solution with an ESP8266 microcontroller. It's Arduino compatible. The biggest problem is that Arduinos usually run on 3.3v or 5v, not 10v. Currently I'm investigating a dual-supply digital potentiometer or a DAC, but you need to isolate the two circuits somehow.
I am waiting for some NodeMcu boards (arduino+esp8266) from china. I thought to get 220AC and split to 2 different ac to dc converters, one for the arduino, another one to power supply 12v to the relays, peristaltic pumps, solenoids or whatever is needed.
I don't have the time now to think about how to digitally dim the lights, probably a 2N3904 transistor is enough (?).

EDIT: btw you provide 10v to the dimming circuit and wire GND in common with arduino GND
alienfarts687
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Those are the boards I have, Grower! They work really well, and onboard Wi-Fi is really helpful.

I'm thinking about controlling pumps and fans as well, but for those I might just use a Sonoff 4CH Pro for simply turning them on and off.

In any case, I ordered a few modules off eBay that I'm hoping I can use. I'm going to try one of these: https://www.adafruit.com/product/807

They accept dual supply, so you can connect it to both the 5V microcontroller and a 12v supply. I don't see why it shouldn't work for LED dimming, but I'm not an electrical engineer...
Grower
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

I should be a coder due to school studies I did but I am a noob in electronics.

I like nodemcu boards but I would also like to make some stand alone modules with a lipo battery and WiFi is probably not the best option.

For pumps or inline extractors I will use some relays, i want to keep it simple to focus on other things. Like single color leds, they should be low wattage and I just need to switch them on and off without dimming at the moment.

For overall air circulation I am looking into 12v Noctua fans but I need to control them through PWM. Game gets more challenging since pwm frequency has to be adjusted to 25kHz.

Dpnt know anything about the one you re going to use but we are here to learn!