Solderless potentiometer for Meanwell type B drivers

Discuss garden automation systems and software here, including commercial products or Raspberry Pi and Arduino DIY setups.
PurpleGunRack
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Hey guys, I'm looking for a solderless potentiometer for the type B drivers, or an easy way to solder connectors to a potentiometer so I can make a little box with a dial ready to wire to the driver.

I want to have these so I can easily use them with different drivers while I'm upgrading to a fully controlled light with the Zigbee controllers, I don't feel like unsoldering stuff :D
sdfoster22
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Try finding some crimp on connectors that will fit over the base of the solder base. That's what I plan on doing (as I'll have my pot outside the tent.)
NothinYet is my nickname
Sativant
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Soldering is really easy-and it’s cheap, too. It’s a good tool to have in your arsenal if you’re going to be doing lighting and electrical. I understand if you don’t want to, but thought I would point out that it’s the best way to connect wires.
While I finish work on my lab, I’ve got my potentiometer soldered to wires, then Connected to Wagos that connect to my remote type B driver. Easy to change out if I want to change the location of the potentiometer.
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Sativant wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:48 pm
Soldering is really easy-and it’s cheap, too. It’s a good tool to have in your arsenal if you’re going to be doing lighting and electrical. I understand if you don’t want to, but thought I would point out that it’s the best way to connect wires.
While I finish work on my lab, I’ve got my potentiometer soldered to wires, then Connected to Wagos that connect to my remote type B driver. Easy to change out if I want to change the location of the potentiometer.
This is what I do as well.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
Complex
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I don't know how to multi-quote (instead of clicking quote for one comment/post and having it automatically bring me to the reply field) so I'll just have to write it out.

sdfoster22:
That's an interesting idea.

Sativant:
I have to agree. It's real easy. Knowing I'd probably need to refresh my skills at this - seeing as I'm getting into DIY led (and I might need it for work in the future..?) I just got some scrap wire (an old cord from a broken device/appliance, or whatever you have) found a spool of solder I have from years ago, and my soldering iron ($10-12 at princess auto, amazon, etc. etc.) and laid it out on the work table. Fire up youtube and choose a few videos to refresh my memory and spent 30 minutes practicing "tinning" stranded ends and soldering some wires together.
I actually improved my skills big time as I found I'd been doing it in a less than effective, though still usable way, before. And now it's super easy.
If you can pick up a (cheap) iron, solder and find some scrap wire to practice with. It's a very easy skill to pick up with some trial and effort.

Just tryin' to help ya out :)
Peace.
Complex
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

From OP: "I want to have these so I can easily use them with different drivers while I'm upgrading to a fully controlled light with the Zigbee controllers, I don't feel like unsoldering stuff"

I actually missed this part. Haha, Sativant has the best solution there I think. :)

Also, have you checked out "Inventronics" drivers?
PurpleGunRack
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I have a soldering iron and don't mind using it :)

I'm looking for a way to do it with a clean finish, preferably in a little box with quick connectors or something so I can play around with different drivers and builds in an easy and safe way.

Complex wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:17 pm
Yes, but they're too expensive compared to Meanwell ;)
PurpleGunRack
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I've been thinking (yeah that's new ;) )

Taking just a plain plastic box and drilling a hole for the potentiomter, secure it inside with 3 leads soldered coming out of 3 small holes on the back of the box where they are connected to 3 2-slot wago connectoers glued to the box...
Not super pretty but it should work, my only concern is how I secure the pot inside the box...
Complex
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

PurpleGunRack,

I'm in Canada, where everything is exponentially more $ or unavailable, and from 'futureelectronics' the inventronics drivers seem to be the same price or cheaper than Mean Well's, depending on model. Maybe +/- 5 to 10% - again depending on model. Also, I'm talking about their programmable constant current line of drivers (EUD series) so - it's not exactly apples to apples. But I hear ya :)

For the pot., you could maybe appoxy it? Duno if you want permanent. Double sided/3M style tape? Maybe there are models of pots. that are meant to be mounted and have a thread n' nut assembly for through mounting.

A company called "Atpwonz" makes electrical junction boxes and water proof connections, on amazon.com. Check it out (but make sure you verify the specs of things with them, I know from experience, lol).

Peace.
alienfarts687
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

PurpleGunRack wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:43 am
I have a soldering iron and don't mind using it :)

I'm looking for a way to do it with a clean finish, preferably in a little box with quick connectors or something so I can play around with different drivers and builds in an easy and safe way.

Complex wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:17 pm
Yes, but they're too expensive compared to Meanwell ;)
You could build the potentiometer into a little plastic project box like this:

Build the potentiometer into the little box and instead of running the wires out to the driver, wire the potentiometer to a female DC port. Now instead of soldering the potentiometer to your driver, just solder a small run of cable to a male DC terminal. Easy as. :)