Koada project (Open-source automation w/ RPI)

Discuss garden automation systems and software here, including commercial products or Raspberry Pi and Arduino DIY setups.
ziky
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hello, i was considering venturing into hass.io with my sonoffs and seeing this project only assures me more that i need to get an RPI! i can offer no help in programming but if it is needed i can beta test and bug report. i know nothing of RPI and only minimal linux, although very skilled in computers in general. also good to know if someone with no experience can set it up, pretty much a must for stoners to be able to use it :p

It has to be said that my funds are pretty limited so it would be a definite plus if the parts aren't too expensive :)

Gl on the project from here :)
Hyakutak
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Thank you!

As far as I can see, it'll be very easy to setup, and the cost for the minimum package ( control 16 pwm modules) should be less than 60 USD DIY & less than 100-130 USD in a plug&play kit.
majorana
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Ugh. It's never simple.

I'm not a linux/raspberry/builder guy, but I generally get my way around with tech. Had a couple of Ubuntu machines, can sort of work with ready-made code, that sort of level. And I've still been struggling for days setting up Motion to work with my RPi0W, even when following various tutorials to the T. Quite a frustrating experience, not even knowing what's going wrong.
Sativant
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

I'm about the same. I have an RPi and I loaded hass.io onto it. Started trying to configure, but it's indeed more difficult and the documentation is really fragmented and confusing. Which is totally normal for these open source projects.

I haven't given up on it. It does seem really promising, but it will take time to build it for my purposes. I would really like a system like that to control the environment in my garden. The Sonoffs alone are doing it now, but it would be nice to have more data logging- and I'd like to flash the Sonoffs with firmware like tasmota and make them independent of their servers in China.

Node Red is amazing looking.

https://nodered.org
seiks
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I've completed my integration with raspberry pi and openhab. Modules include:

- LED Light Dimmer ($10)
- Fan dimmer ($20)
- Temperature, humidity, light sensor / data-logging ($10)
- Power consumption monitoring (Sonoffs, so anywhere from $6 - $20 depending on what you get)
- Temperature-adjusted fan speeds (Code-based using the sensor data above)
- Timelapse camera ($25 for the camera module)

I can send you a raspberry pi image with all the software installed already.. but for the dimming stuff you will need to solder some stuff (I suck at soldering, so if I did it you can too!)

I'm happy to walk anyone through the process.. I'm still learning along as I go so teaching it to others will really help me reinforce it. Can do a google hangout or something and walk through your build / code and help you get unstuck.
isaack
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Nice update!

Out of curiosity, what do you use for dimming?

I'm trying with a Octocopler and Meanwell 320H-C type.
Sativant
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

seiks wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:41 pm
I've completed my integration with raspberry pi and openhab. Modules include:

- LED Light Dimmer ($10)
- Fan dimmer ($20)
- Temperature, humidity, light sensor / data-logging ($10)
- Power consumption monitoring (Sonoffs, so anywhere from $6 - $20 depending on what you get)
- Temperature-adjusted fan speeds (Code-based using the sensor data above)
- Timelapse camera ($25 for the camera module)

I can send you a raspberry pi image with all the software installed already.. but for the dimming stuff you will need to solder some stuff (I suck at soldering, so if I did it you can too!)

I'm happy to walk anyone through the process.. I'm still learning along as I go so teaching it to others will really help me reinforce it. Can do a google hangout or something and walk through your build / code and help you get unstuck.
openhab sounds good too! I'd love to see some screenshots. I have a crappy Android phone I was hoping to use for a camera attached to the Raspberry Pi. Are you using pwm for LED dimming ? What about fan ?

It's generous to offer a disk image. I'd be happy to take you up on that. I already have about 15 or 20 Sonoff switches of various flavors.
Hyakutak
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

majorana wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:43 pm
Ugh. It's never simple.

I'm not a linux/raspberry/builder guy, but I generally get my way around with tech. Had a couple of Ubuntu machines, can sort of work with ready-made code, that sort of level. And I've still been struggling for days setting up Motion to work with my RPi0W, even when following various tutorials to the T. Quite a frustrating experience, not even knowing what's going wrong.
I'm really working hard to make this project plug & play, this include:

- Remote server for people who don't want to install the server locally & open port on the router. (Not mandatory, I'm a fair defensor of privacy, and having the possibility to store everything in local is a must for me, but it won't be as easy as using the remote public server)
- The server is automatically pairing w/ new controller via Bluetooth detection. (The server RPI can also be a controller)
- Image of Raspbian RPI w/ Kiasmos for easy install will be available.
Sativant
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Running local a must for me too !
majorana
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Keeping things on the one's own network is a pretty essential safety&privacy issue. Remote access is a nice optional, but not using remote services for logging. Not that there's anything particularly interesting in the data logged, but if a camera module is attached (and that's a favorite part) that can get pretty thorny pretty fast.

As long as I kept my RPi0 on the same network I SSH to it from I had an easier time to move forward. Now that it's on a separate SSID I can still SSH to it, but can't access the camera using the same IP (with the right port, of course.) I'll try again this evening.