Koada project (Open-source automation w/ RPI)

Discuss garden automation systems and software here, including commercial products or Raspberry Pi and Arduino DIY setups.
airhorns
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Apologies for the compete noob question, but, how do you know if a Meanwell power supply is dimmable via PWM? Do you just get a B series and wire the PWM signal from the PWM hat into where the pot would be wired on the power supply? Are you dimming current or voltage or whatever you prefer to avoid thermal runaway?

Thanks!
Hyakutak
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

You have to check the datasheet.

For example, for the HLG-600h-48B:
Capture d’écran 2018-06-17 à 11.08.04.png
You can see that PWM control the current and can go down to 0% current. Not all driver are capable of going down to 0%.
If the driver you chose isn't able to go down to 0% current, Kiasmos won't be able to powers off your light.
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

All of the HLG B-type drivers will take a PWM signal on their dimming leads.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Could you use something like this to turn lights on and off?

https://www.adafruit.com/product/2935

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
Hyakutak
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

This thing is sadly not compatible in my country, but yes! I can add support for this later!

I've finally tested a 3v PWM signal with my HLG-600h-48b driver. It works but I can only reach 80% of total power. So I'm working on a signal amplifier!
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Oh dang... I figured it’d be an easy way to turn 1-10V drivers completely off since it’s relay driven and comes with a preterminated power cable so people don’t have to mess with AC either.

Hyakutak
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Kiasmos is going strong! We just hired an electronic engineer to design the whole controller box. We want to do something affordable but reliable and powerful!

After the Led Gardener idea & some inspiration from the Chilled controller, we're working on a main controller capable of:

- Powering & Switching on/off up to 4 devices separately (max: 2000 watts split in the 4 output)
- Powering, opening & closing up to 4 solenoid valve separately (For water, Co2, nutrients for hydroponic)
- Controlling up to 16 drivers with pwm
- 3 Sensors input (Currently supporting the Sensiron SCD30)

Everything will work with the Kiasmos software with the possibility of being triggered by environment sensors (Temp, Humidity, Co2, EC, PH etc)

The goal is to sell a commercial product, a DIY open-source/hardware kit & provide a DIY shopping list w/ instructions for the hardcore DIYer. The DIY kit is fully customizable, you can, for example, remove the solenoid valve controller or add a second 16x pwm controller etc... without buying a second raspberry pi / complete kit!

We're also hiring a new developer to accelerate the development of the software.

I know I was way tooo optimistic about the deadline, but the first public version should go live around September-October 2018. The reason for this is that the actual prototype isn't stable & we don't want people to waste money & time on it.

We're putting a lot of energy & money into this project because we can't find any powerful, modern & fair priced garden automation system. The last Chilled controller is expensive, the control panel looks like we're in the 90's & for the price, it can't even handle sensor based triggering, valve etc...

We're currently at the end of the design process, so if you have more ideas for us to add in our box to make it the perfect automation system, please share them with us quickly!
Last edited by Hyakutak on Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Sounds like this thing just got way more serious. I’m very interested in seeing how this goes.

sdfoster22
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

LEDG wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:05 pm
Sounds like this thing just got way more serious. I’m very interested in seeing how this goes.
I agree! This is definitely something I'm interested in!
NothinYet is my nickname
Futuregrow
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

macthezazou wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:14 pm
We're putting a lot of energy & money into this project because we can't find any powerful, modern & fair priced garden automation system. The last Chilled controller is expensive, the control panel looks like we're in the 90's & for the price, it can't even handle sensor based triggering, valve etc...

We're currently at the end of the design process, so if you have more ideas for us to add in our box to make it the perfect automation system, please share them with us quickly!
Wicked, I love what you're doing!