Raspberry Pi Camera Module

Discuss garden automation systems and software here, including commercial products or Raspberry Pi and Arduino DIY setups.
Sativant
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Which one is recommended ? The NoIR camera or the regular (V2) module ? I'm assuming the NoIR camera needs a source of IR light to see in the dark.
Grower
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Sativant wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 8:32 pm
Which one is recommended ? The NoIR camera or the regular (V2) module ? I'm assuming the NoIR camera needs a source of IR light to see in the dark.
You re right, an additional ir led is needed but there are also waveshare modules like the Zooming with some.builtin features.

I would start with the v2
Sativant
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Ok. That sounds good.
Grower
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Sativant wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 12:03 pm
Ok. That sounds good.
I just gave a look on aliexpress and it is full of camera modules, check yourself because there are different prices.
Sativant
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Thanks Grower- what OS are you running on your Pi ?
Grower
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Sativant wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 5:10 pm
Thanks Grower- what OS are you running on your Pi ?
Retropie :lol:
Btw I usually use Raspbian, it is heavily supported and I am a Noob so it is a good match for me!
I also like orange pi boards! I am waiting to get a Zero board
Sativant
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

And then there's the ODROID-C2 and others. I have the Pi- I had been working on setting up Home Assistant on it. I may come back to it. I now realize how nice it is to have a live camera in my "lab".
I have a kind of ad-hoc automation and surveillance set up now, Hopefully it will converge into a more unified IOT network. Part of it is necessitated by the fact that my lab is a stealth operation and often needs to be observed and controlled remotely.
Grower
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Sativant wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 8:01 pm
And then there's the ODROID-C2 and others. I have the Pi- I had been working on setting up Home Assistant on it. I may come back to it. I now realize how nice it is to have a live camera in my "lab".
I have a kind of ad-hoc automation and surveillance set up now, Hopefully it will converge into a more unified IOT network. Part of it is necessitated by the fact that my lab is a stealth operation and often needs to be observed and controlled remotely.
I like the idea behind IoT that is why I would like to have a modular network of sensors or many arduinos as clients and a RasPi as a broker/server.
Stealth is a must.
majorana
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Anybody got a couple of minutes to explain how they set up their live camera?

I have a Pi0 with a v2 camera collecting dust for a month after giving up on it...

(Tricky point: the pi is effectively on the same wifi network, but it has a different name as it's an off-shoot wifi thru a powerline adapter)
Grower
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

majorana wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 10:33 am
Anybody got a couple of minutes to explain how they set up their live camera?

I have a Pi0 with a v2 camera collecting dust for a month after giving up on it...

(Tricky point: the pi is effectively on the same wifi network, but it has a different name as it's an off-shoot wifi thru a powerline adapter)
What software are you using?
Did you ever try motionpi image?
Edit: or motioneye... Can't remember the name