Do we really need the ESP32?

Discuss garden automation systems and software here, including commercial products or Raspberry Pi and Arduino DIY setups.
GreenerGoodLife
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Greetings everyone! BIG thanks to LEDg for making this forum and the repository! Ive been reading a book byCharles Bell called "Beginning Sensor Networks with XBee, Raspberry Pi, and Arduino". its been a lot of help but Ive got TONS of questions, tho. Do we really need the ESP32? Couldn't we just use an arduino UNO with WiFi as the aggreator node? as it sits now the MEGA is the data node and the aggregator node is the esp sending info back to the server (RPi).

another unrelated question: woul dit be possible to add a fourth PWM controller for the dosing pumps? (im using an UNO and an esp32) i have several NaNo's and a couple ESP8266 as well..

!Live!Alive!
00schteven
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I think it depends on what all you want to be able to control, and what you need for inputs. You do not need one, but they are handy and easy to deploy if you need to expand the scope of your project.
@stevetheganjafarmer
sshscp
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I tried using Arduino Uno WiFi at first but when it comes to libraries it gets left out quite often. You cannot just assume that a shield that works on Uno will work on Uno Wifi because it might not or the library may not work with it. Uno WiFi is not just a Uno with WiFi attached. They are 2 very different dev boards. Arduino Uno has more library parity with esp32 than it does with Arduino Uno WiFi.

I only use ESP32s now and I a much happier. The only thing I used with WiFi Uno with was Atlas Scientific sensors but I recently built a board that uses esp32 and works with those sensors as well. So now I am 100% ESP32.