Constant current vs Constant voltage

Discuss garden automation systems and software here, including commercial products or Raspberry Pi and Arduino DIY setups.
nzfarmer
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Am struggling with this one.

I built my light controller using DMX - basically ArtNet -> DMX to PWM splitter -> LED PWM Amplifiers (24v) -> LEDs (COBs but I am shifting to SMD)

The light array for ~1Msq draws up to ~30A

Anyway, the COBs didn't like the aggressive PWM flicker so I've reverted to just using the pot on a power supply - so voltage only control and no micro computer interface.

And I am getting into strife from guys saying it should be current controlled not voltage controlled - better for efficiency and to protect against runaway loads

So great, I go looking for DC to DC constant current drivers ( I want DC because while I'm currently using off the shelf switch mode PSUs ideally I want to handle alternative energy DC loads)

Anyway, it's slim pickings - there are very few models to choose from, and they are all pathetically small - I'd need half a dozen units for just one of my arrays!

So just opening this up to anyone who has gone down this road before - am hoping to find some sort of grunty (5-10kw) buck/boost converter that can work as either constant current or constant V.