Koada project (Open-source automation w/ RPI)

Discuss garden automation systems and software here, including commercial products or Raspberry Pi and Arduino DIY setups.
Hyakutak
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Link to follow the project progress et post ideas

Hey,

During the last two month, I worked hard building & optimizing our 2 Samsung F-Series build (3x3 & 4x4)

After some testing, we're quite happy with those two prototypes, but now we want to go a bit further. We need to create an easy way for us to manage more than ten lamps, so we decided to start a new automation grow system.

The name of our open-source & free project is Koada.

Our primary goal is to create a web-app (Working on Android/IOS & any recent web browser on your computer) who can manage a group of lamps powered by type B Meanwell drivers.

The main features will be:

1) Managing light schedule w/ PWM
2) Switching drivers On/Off completely with a connected power switch
2) Managing optional led modules (Far red for example).
3) Simulating sunset/sunrise w/ PWM
4) The ability to create different plant group to assign different light schedule/parameters & track different info (days since flowering, nutrition problem, days since last watering etc)
5) Conditional triggering, E.g Automatically adjusting light power to keep the grow space in a specific temperature range.

To achieve that, we will use the cheap Raspberry Pi (Model 3B for Wifi/Bluetooth support) computer with a PWM controller hat. (50-100$ depending on where you live)

We also have some long-term goals:

1) Managing watering with solenoid valves & wireless humidity sensor.
2) Managing hydroponics installation (PH/TDS)
2) Creating an alarm & log system with temperature/humidity sensor to prevent problems, monitor & improve grow routine
3) Selling fair-priced automation kit (Installed raspberry pi with the proper hat, solenoid valve, PWM cable & connector, etc)

I will keep this post updated with the project's progression.

This project is based in Switzerland.

Some pics of the actual software

(Plant group list w/ icons to show if the group is in flowering stage & if lights are turned on)
Last edited by Hyakutak on Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:18 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Sativant
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Thanks- yes, keep us updated. This is interesting stuff !
majorana
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

I've already posted my dream about half a year ago, which would be an open-source automated controller of TDS/pH (another two sensors and two-three solenoid valves). I'd be more than happy to pay and help with beta testing :)
Hyakutak
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Thank you!

For the TDS/pH sensor, I've never done any hydroponics build. But I will add this to my long-term goal list. I'm quite interested in hydroponics installation.

Here are some pics of my today work:

Today test with my RPI & a RapidLED far led module:
- making a breathing effect with PWM

majorana
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

macthezazou wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:58 pm
Thank you!

For the TDS/pH sensor, I've never done any hydroponics build. But I will add this to my long-term goal list. I'm quite interested in hydroponics installation.

https://www.whiteboxes.ch/ have kits with all of the different components (from RPi to Atlas Scientific sensors to peristaltic pumps), but stop a step short of a tutorial on how to put it all together.

DFRobot has an unusable tutorial which does the same thing (with an Arduino), and the components end up costing about a quarter: https://www.dfrobot.com/blog-550.html -- had it just been clearer about the procedure of wiring/putting everything together and making it work I'd try it out right away. Ideally, and given the relatively low price, I'd even keep two pH sensors in the water (they tend to be a bit flaky.)

You might also want to take inspiration from here: http://www.raspiviv.com/
Hyakutak
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Thank you for these informations!

Here are some more pics.

majorana
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Getting pH readings, and perhaps notifications when crossing set values, is a step short from full automation but already a big step towards keeping things under control.

I'd be more than happy to beta test-- just seeing the pH sensor is worked on is already super promising!

My knowledge is close to zero, and I don't even know what BNC stands for. But might the BNC connector DFRobot sell for Arduino attach to a RPi0, or any other RPi for that matter? (https://www.dfrobot.com/product-1110.html)
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Man, this is a cool project. I happen to have a spare pi 3B kicking around too.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
Hyakutak
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Thank you LEDG!

The project is going strong.

I can control up to 16 PWM with 1 RPI (The hat is stackable, so 1 RPI can control an "infinite" number of lights). The web interface & server are almost finished (for minimal features).

Right now I'm waiting for my new HLG-600h-48b to make tests with a 600w lights and deliver the first beta in 1-2 weeks.

I also have ordered some Humidity / Temperature / PH sensor / Solenoid valve to create wireless sensors, but this is for later.
majorana
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Great to hear this is moving forward!