Koada project (Open-source automation w/ RPI)

Discuss garden automation systems and software here, including commercial products or Raspberry Pi and Arduino DIY setups.
Hyakutak
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

If you want to comments & follow the project progress / ideas:

https://trello.com/b/Df2TfWFe/developping
Hyakutak
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Okay, I had to slow down the project a bit because of some family problem, but I'm 100% back on it from now.

Right now I'm searching for some beta-tester! If anyone here wants to test my project, I'll send you the small shopping list & installations instructions!
Sativant
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Yes - thank you !
majorana
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

macthezazou wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 9:52 pm
Right now I'm searching for some beta-tester! If anyone here wants to test my project, I'll send you the small shopping list & installations instructions!
You've got one tester here!
Aolelon
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

macthezazou wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 9:52 pm
Okay, I had to slow down the project a bit because of some family problem, but I'm 100% back on it from now.

I'm in tell me what we need.
Hyakutak
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Cool!

thank you very much for your interest!

I've finished yesterday all the basic functions of the app!

Now, I've to create the Raspbian image with Kiasmos installed and test it with my HLG-600.

Here is what you need to make things work:
  • Raspberry pi PWM controller (You do not need any power supply for this hat. The power supply is only if you want to plug servo, which is not the case here.)
  • A full raspberry kit (Raspberry Pi + SD card) I've personally tested everything with a Raspberry Pi 3B+. But it should work fine on the older version.
  • A Meanwell power supply that is dimmable down to 0 volts!
For now, I haven't tested a less than 10v pwm signal to control my HLG power supply. The documentation of Meanwell says 10v, but maybe it can work with less. If it's not the case, you'll need a breadboard, some PN2222 transistors (1x transistor/driver). From what I've read online, a 9 VDC / 1000mA wall adapter should able to convert the 3.3v PWM signal to 9v for up to 16 drivers.

It should be quite easy, to connect all the wire. No soldering needed.

I'll post pictures /videos of my system next week.

To make the Beta-test, I'll use an open-source debug framework called Sentry. This is the only third party I use and you can check info about it here. I've very careful about sensitive data, if you have any question, please ask.

The source-code will be released before the beta testing, so if you want to check it for any reason, you can. Will upload & provide Github link asap.
alienfarts687
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

macthezazou wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:06 am
Cool!

thank you very much for your interest!

I've finished yesterday all the basic functions of the app!

Now, I've to create the Raspbian image with Kiasmos installed and test it with my HLG-600.

Here is what you need to make things work:
  • Raspberry pi PWM controller (You do not need any power supply for this hat. The power supply is only if you want to plug servo, which is not the case here.)
  • A full raspberry kit (Raspberry Pi + SD card) I've personally tested everything with a Raspberry Pi 3B+. But it should work fine on the older version.
  • A Meanwell power supply that is dimmable down to 0 volts!
For now, I haven't tested a less than 10v pwm signal to control my HLG power supply. The documentation of Meanwell says 10v, but maybe it can work with less. If it's not the case, you'll need a breadboard, some PN2222 transistors (1x transistor/driver). From what I've read online, a 9 VDC / 1000mA wall adapter should able to convert the 3.3v PWM signal to 9v for up to 16 drivers.

It should be quite easy, to connect all the wire. No soldering needed.

I'll post pictures /videos of my system next week.

To make the Beta-test, I'll use an open-source debug framework called Sentry. This is the only third party I use and you can check info about it here. I've very careful about sensitive data, if you have any question, please ask.

The source-code will be released before the beta testing, so if you want to check it for any reason, you can. Will upload & provide Github link asap.
I hate to burst your bubble, but I doubt that PWM hat will work. It only works with 3.3v and 5v logic. The transistors might work. I've seen a few designs based around them that should work, but I haven't tried any of them yet. My transistors and other components are still in the mail. Just be careful to isolate the 10v and 5v circuits or else you risk damaging the Pi.

Hope that helps... I'd be very interested in what you come up with and your code since I'm working on something similar for my own setup using Home Assistant and Arduinos.
Hyakutak
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Ahah, that's why I said, it's probably a must to have a breadboard, some PN2222 transistors, and a 9vdc power supply...

I'll make all the test tomorrow @ my lab!
alienfarts687
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

I bought a 0-24VDC 5A MOS "Driver Module" for Arduino that says it works for motors and lights and things of that nature and produces PWM output. It looks like it's literally a couple of resistors and an IRF520N MOSFET. It's probably not going to protect the microcontroller from the 10V circuit, but considering how cheap Pis and Arduinos are, it's probably cheaper to just get extras and replace them if or when they die. :lol:
Hyakutak
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

I would love to create a 3.3v to 10v 16 port converter box but it looks like a lot of hassle...

About the Kiasmos project, I'm sorry for the delay, but these last 30 days were just a nightmare ahahah. Too much work, problems etc. I can't put as much time as I would like into dev.

I hope I'll deliver something usable during this month. I'm trying hard.

Also, I have added a new simple functionality for Kiasmos (probably not during early beta thought): The possibility to make the power of a driver to vary automatically over weeks.

We should be able to make slow spectrum variation over time with 2+ drivers & different color temperature boards/strips.

A very long-term goal would be to include a spectrum simulator (For popular boards/strips, with a community database)to see the variation over weeks of the spectrum & instant spectrum. But I don't have the time for that, this is a heavy feature.

Currently, I'm refactoring the kinda Hacky code I've made to make something more easy to debug read /contribute during the beta phase.