Multimeter use on bridgelux 1 foot setup

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
xenophon
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

It's funny, I figured that might be the case when I looked at Amazon and saw all the WOW THESE THINGS GOT CHEAP reviews.
Hydrofood
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

For real. Iv been looking more and more at them. Their price point is not bad. Just trying to find one with better DC voltage accuracy.
Jack55
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Out of curiosity, what is the highest voltage you are seeing out of the EB2? I am building my own power supply out of cobbled together parts from an old server and I was wondering the highest voltage I can fix it at. I will be able to dim the amps via a pot but not the voltage and i want to give it the most oomph when I need it.

Thanks for the help./
Hydrofood
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Jack55 wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:49 pm
Out of curiosity, what is the highest voltage you are seeing out of the EB2? I am building my own power supply.
Unless your running them really hard or hot, they should run at the voltages rated in the data sheet.
That's my experience at least.
What's your reason for building your own power supply?
Jack55
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Honestly just because I think it would be interesting and I have the several high efficiency server power supplies that my office gave me after a recent upgrade. The spec sheet says 19.4 - 21.6 with typical @ 20.5 but I was just wondering if anyone has an experience running them hard and what that voltage is. I wish Bridgelux had a simulator for these so i can get more specific data than inferring from the lower resolution graph. With no other input, I will likely set them for 21v.
Hydrofood
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Jack55 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:11 pm
Honestly just because I think it would be interesting.
Uncharted waters, I like that!
Stay safe my friend and tell us what you find.
clayts
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

So I managed to sort this out with an extra Wago. Thanks for your help.

However it produced an interesting result.

The voltage out of the driver as expected (hlg-150h-20B) is 20.1V. No worries. Also as expected, voltage across the furthest strip is a bit lower at 19.86V. More if a drop than I thought but ok.

What is throwing me though is the current draw. Right from the driver, the current draw is only about 4.6A. This is with the potentiometer (100k Ohm) maxed. I'd have thought, checking the data sheet for the bridgelux strips (eB series 2, 1 footers) that the amperage would be more like around 6A (12*0.5A) at this voltage.

Not quite sure what is going on here. Plants seem to be fine with it, even dimmed (they're only young) but still, I thought the total power draw would be bigger according to the datasheet..
Shimbob
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

clayts wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:05 am
Right from the driver, the current draw is only about 4.6A. This is with the potentiometer (100k Ohm) maxed. I'd have thought, checking the data sheet for the bridgelux strips (eB series 2, 1 footers) that the amperage would be more like around 6A (12*0.5A) at this voltage.
It's worst than you think, you should have measured 7.5A at full brightness. Try again after removing the dimmer?
clayts
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Sorry, I should have mentioned I already disconnected the dimmer and it read the same as with the dimmer maxed, about 4.5A.
Shimbob
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

clayts wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:24 pm
Sorry, I should have mentioned I already disconnected the dimmer and it read the same as with the dimmer maxed, about 4.5A.
What size wire are you using?