Opulent Strips.

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

There are so many of these strips around and they are all cheap. Most of the time they are using older chips and they sell them dirt cheap to get rid of old chips. Buy a lot of them run them at low current and they will last a long time. Very cheap way to DIY.
If you are chasing higher performance then price goes up. LEDS cost to all now days if they asre old technology, I buy leds for as little as $0.0016 per led, not the best performance but still not bad performance for the price. If I want to increase performance then the led chips can increase by 100X in price very fast. This is on the exact same package also. Companies need to get rid of the old chips somehow and board like this sold cheap and mass produced is one way to do it
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I never got around to trying these yet... I ended up using EB gen 2 on last veg light build.. but I still want to take 2 22" strips on a apc-25-350 and make a light just for a seed starting tray.. 😁
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Same here, digikey got the 3000k strips back in stock and I went with those. Now I heared there are new gen products coming out from bridgelux so I paused my purchases for a moment
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

2 of the 4 footers would pair well with the 72v 530mA TRP drivers, that cost around 8$, so about 21$ for a 40w veg/ clone light...

I think can build a similar one from EB's for even cheaper though
HomerPepsi
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Might as well wait for the eb gen 3's :-) . I think those are the ones I am going to use for my veg room.

Good info on them being old tech diodes - is that verifiable?

Cheers
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

HomerPepsi wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 7:55 pm
Might as well wait for the eb gen 3's :-) . I think those are the ones I am going to use for my veg room.

Cheers
I think a very strong argument can be made in this regard, although a lot of nuance is naturally lost in such a straight forward approach.

With bridgelux I think the EB gen 2 and vestas might be slightly adjusted EB gen1 diodes, and in the case of samsung I read that the LM301b had the same performance as the older LM561C, they just clocked it at a lower current to get the performance figures to look better. Now the new samsung chip is the LM301B with the sulfur removed.

When a corporation deals in a market, they have to take into account many types of issues. Quality as a technical term gets a different definition in product design, production and marketing.
In product design quality means getting the right balance of available design features, your always sacrificing something for something else. Each component of the product is subject to the laws of diminishing returns, in general its not considered good design to make a shit product with one over-spec element that marketing can hype. So while the current white strips are budget technology, you only need to look at performance/$ to understand why they crushed the market. It's not hard to see what value they offer.

In production, quality means making the product as close to design standards as possible.

Finally its the marketing depts that muddle the whole picture, acting like their repackage is a revolution. If they just presented things as they are, there would be little to criticize, but I'm not sure consumer behavior makes that a viable strategy either.

As Teknik said, prices can jump up to 100x when you start exploring the bounds of whats available and physically possible. These products hardly make sense for commercial applications, where you need to balance things out, but as passionate hobbyists we certainly drool and dream of them.

So finally I guess it would be impossible to do good industrial design while being hyped up in some marketing bubble. Good industrial design is all about balancing out multiple variables into a package that makes sense. Functionality is key! It's not unusual to spot a person who sees the functionality of their light as social leverage, rather then anything to do with growing plants. They just need something to signal that they are better then the next guy. There is nothing wrong with that, and understanding your real motivation will help you achieve more of it.
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

HomerPepsi wrote:

Cheers
They are either old tech or over driven, there are not many leds on those boards so they are likely over driven 200lpw chips. Bridgelux use 200lpw chips but use a lot of them and underdrive them.
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
HomerPepsi
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 8:08 pm
HomerPepsi wrote:

Cheers
They are either old tech or over driven, there are not many leds on those boards so they are likely over driven 200lpw chips. Bridgelux use 200lpw chips but use a lot of them and underdrive them.
Makes sense! Thanks for the insights.