Looking for advice for small BXEB slim gen 3 build

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
Roost
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Can't comment on functionality, sounds like quite build though. I'm already dreaming of adding far red to mine and possibly uv with a t5 tube or two. One thing at a time for me though i'm already over whelmed :?
RadRiverOtter
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

From what I've read, t5 is the way to go for UV a/b. I just figured if I was already going to be soldering the reds, might as well slap on some UV diodes so the setup will look cleaner.
Swamp botanist by day... Bedroom botanist by night.
Roost
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Not sure really. I see threads in this forum with people that seem confident in running them, on the other hand I was watching video on MIGRO's channel and he was saying leds don't create much if any uvb. I would like to make my setup strictly led although a trip to the pet store is fairly easy too :D
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Migro although helpful doesn't have the correct equipment to be able to say some of the things he does. I don't have the equipment to make judgement on UVB leds yet either.
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
RadRiverOtter
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:10 am
Migro although helpful doesn't have the correct equipment to be able to say some of the things he does. I don't have the equipment to make judgement on UVB leds yet either.
I like your honesty. Since I am going to be hooking these up anyways, how would one go about testing for uv spectrum without buying a sensor that cost more then the whole setup?
HomerPepsi
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

From my own anecdotal observation set, SolarMeter's dedicated Uvb and dedicated Uva sensors, measuring rapidled's uv solderless; a uv star led from Steve's; a 'uv' led light from Walmart with the plastic bulb cover removed; an exotera uvb 150 cfl bulb; a lucky herp uvb 15.0; and Solacures Super B and Flower Power.

I know this is an apple and oranges comparison... But...
I will hands down go with solacure every time, right now. My current bulbs are on their fourth flower cycle and still outputting far more than Uva than any of the LED's came close to at 12inches. The LED's are probably more efficient (as the Solacures run at 40w), but to make up for difference in power, you will probably need a bunch of them ($$$$) and the overall lifespan is not as well understood (I'll wait for the definitive uvb led to come out before comparing lifespans).

..... And the fact that none of the LED's output uvb..
Last edited by HomerPepsi on Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

You can buy some cheap UV meters. I don't think they are accurate. I will get a proper meter one day that I can connect to my goniophotometer so I can see what's really going on.

Before you buy UVB I would suggest to fill in the near UV region of 400nm to 450nm.
Tests that Or_Gro conducted showed very little difference in THC content to grows done with and without UVB but with added 420nm.
Without the 420nm I think from memory THC content was 20% less
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

UVB leds are quite common now days. They are usually marked as UVC. I just don't like things that I can't test as I do not trust manufacturers of these products
RadRiverOtter
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Understandable. As I am not growing cannabis, I've got to be very tight with my ROI. So I ended up not shooting for uvb and focusing on uva. Just got some cheap opulent starboard's (5)385nm, and (5)400nm. To go with my cree photo reds. It might be a bad call, but strapped to an 8 watt driver, it will at least be a very cheap bad call.
RadRiverOtter
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:32 am
UVB leds are quite common now days. They are usually marked as UVC. I just don't like things that I can't test as I do not trust manufacturers of these products
I saw those. I was scared off because they are labeled for "sterilization applications". Lol