Looking for advice for small BXEB slim gen 3 build

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
RadRiverOtter
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Also, I was going to run the 660's straight down the middle. Sandwiched right where each set of 2 joins on the extrusion. So it would sort of create a perpendicular row. Is this a bad idea? Or should I run them lengthwise on their own extrusion with the uvs and far reds?
Swamp botanist by day... Bedroom botanist by night.
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

You can run them there but your spread won't be fantastic. When adding suppliments you really want to still maintain a good spread, it's often better to buy smaller suppliment lights and spread them around rather than one big one in the center.

I call the 3030s PC blues but they will know what you are talking about

Part number is LT-3030 PC BLUE
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
HomerPepsi
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

RadRiverOtter wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:09 am
IMG_11022020_185635_(1080_x_810_pixel).jpg

Just received the last pieces of the puzzle today for my strip build. Well almost.. @TEKNIK lured me with additional extra shiny things.

Has anyone used an inline ammeter for dialing in the current?

I realize I can do this with a multimeter, but I think it will be nice to monitor it. Especially if I want to make any minute changes.

Yes you can! Just watch the voltages, as I believe the cheap ones I got from bang good (if I recall the store correctly) are limited to 100v.
RadRiverOtter
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

HomerPepsi wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:46 pm

Yes you can! Just watch the voltages, as I believe the cheap ones I got from bang good (if I recall the store correctly) are limited to 100v.
Watch the voltages? I actually didn't bother with a voltmeter. I figured with parallel wiring and constant voltage driver I only needed to keep an eye on the current. Am I way off on this thought?

I picked up an analog ammeter. For no other reason, aside from I like the way it looks. Lol. I don't see a max voltage on it though. Guess I'll find out once I hook it up if it's going to explode.
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Meanwell drivers are not constant voltage, people just call them constant voltage drivers. They are voltage limited drivers. What happens with your set up is that they will drop voltage, a proper constant voltage driver never drops voltage. Just check it with a multi meter once warmed up, you don't need to constantly monitor voltage and current
NLDhunt
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:30 am
You can buy some cheap UV meters. I don't think they are accurate. I will get a proper meter one day that I can connect to my goniophotometer so I can see what's really going on.

Before you buy UVB I would suggest to fill in the near UV region of 400nm to 450nm.
Tests that Or_Gro conducted showed very little difference in THC content to grows done with and without UVB but with added 420nm.
Without the 420nm I think from memory THC content was 20% less
That is really interesting. Thanks for relaying that info from or_gro. Do you happen to know how many watts of 410-420nm per sq ft or_gro was supplementing with?
RadRiverOtter
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:35 am
Meanwell drivers are not constant voltage, people just call them constant voltage drivers. They are voltage limited drivers. What happens with your set up is that they will drop voltage, a proper constant voltage driver never drops voltage. Just check it with a multi meter once warmed up, you don't need to constantly monitor voltage and current
Oh wow. Ok. Thanks, I didn't realize that. I'll keep an eye on it until I get a feel for it.
Am I correct in assuming that current directly correlates to light output?
My reason for needing to monitor the current is that I will need to tweak the light intensity on the fly.
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Current X Voltage = watts. It depends on what lights you are running exactly to determine light output
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

https://growlightsaustralia.com/product ... -uv-3000k/

Or_Grow was running these boards without suppliment lighting. I would say a total of 5% was dedicated to the 420nm region but its probably less than that.

My advice would be to run around 10% of your total power in the 400-440nm range.
HomerPepsi
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

RadRiverOtter wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:28 am
Watch the voltages? I actually didn't bother with a voltmeter. I figured with parallel wiring and constant voltage driver I only needed to keep an eye on the current. Am I way off on this thought?

I picked up an analog ammeter. For no other reason, aside from I like the way it looks. Lol. I don't see a max voltage on it though. Guess I'll find out once I hook it up if it's going to explode.
Sorry, I assumed (very wrongly) that the inline voltameter/ammeters we all use are the same. Mine displays volts and amps, but only allows up to 100v.

Cheers,