Samsung L2 Horticulture Modules Build

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
bas
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hello everyone,
I have been following Led Gardener for a couple of years but I just joined the forum to see if I could get some help on a build.
I already built a Samsung strip light using the 2'x4' schematics found on this site and I'm generally quite handy, buuut I'm not that good on electronics. I have an idea of how to build this light but since it's not cheap i would like some reassurance from someone who knows more than me.

I would like to build a light fixture with 12 2' Samsung L2 horticulture strips (SL-B8R5C9H1AWW) to use in a 6'x3'.
Could someone please tell me the best driver to use and how to wire it all up? a drawing of the schematics would be fantastic! Hope i don't sound pretentious.

Thank you,
Bas.
greengenes
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Use a hlg600h-48 and wire all the boards in parallel. They're usually in stock and easy to get.

I would do 4 linear rows of 3 strips. Or run all 12 perpendicular to the space.
the Falcon
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

SO I would wire them in parallel -it seems you need about 600 some odd watts at minimum for that space so 2 x 320 w drivers. Seems the HLG-320H-42 is your answer as your strips are 43.1v. Maybe the 48v is a better choice ...You need to look up parallel wiring to figure out how to do it. 2 months ago I couldn't have gave you this answer -so you can do it. I wouldn't have answered but seems no one was..
bas
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hey Falcon and Greengenes, thanks for the reply!
I get lost in Volts and Amps!
Both of your suggestions where what i had in mind.
I think i prefer the 2 driver option so that it is more versatile.

So I guess a good bet would be 2 MeanWell HLG-320H-42B each powering 6 L2 modules (SL-B8R5C9H2AWW).
And as far as the connections diagram it would be as simple as the image i attached (just with 6 strips instead of 5) or am i mistaken?

Anyway thanks again, I'm quite satisfied and i will proceed to building this lamp (now 2 lamps).

Any other input to make this light better is well accepted!
Attachments
Schermata 2020-03-25 alle 12.18.34.png
Schermata 2020-03-25 alle 12.18.34.png (61.45 KiB) Viewed 2775 times
randorson
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

It helps to know that
Watts = Volts * Amps
Volts = Watts / Amps
Amps = Watts / Volts

And that for parallel builds, add the current draw (amperage) of the strips together.
For series wiring, add the voltage demand of each strip together.

Yes, just like the image but with an additional strip.

To determine what driver(s) you should use; determine the amperage and voltage demand of your strips, then look at a datasheet for mean well drivers to determine how many drivers you need, and which models.

You can get a sheet for mean wells HLG series from Digikeys website.
the Falcon
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

bas wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:41 am
Hey Falcon and Greengenes, thanks for the reply!
I get lost in Volts and Amps!
Both of your suggestions where what i had in mind.
I think i prefer the 2 driver option so that it is more versatile.

So I guess a good bet would be 2 MeanWell HLG-320H-42B each powering 6 L2 modules (SL-B8R5C9H2AWW).
And as far as the connections diagram it would be as simple as the image i attached (just with 6 strips instead of 5) or am i mistaken?

Anyway thanks again, I'm quite satisfied and i will proceed to building this lamp (now 2 lamps).

Any other input to make this light better is well accepted!
Only thing I would do is have one Wago in middle of strips for each pos and neg from driver - the 18ga can fit two in each wago hole - even three if you strip em good !@!~ then have all of them fed from there to try equalize how the juice hits them as much as possible. I've seen where if the power is from one side -the strips closer will run hotter and brighter - better to make sure load is spread as much as possible in my noob mind. I'll see if I can find a pic I have that illustrates this phenomena. Also to make it easy you can connect the pos and neg on same side of board - I do and it seems fine - certainly simpler. Wiring it in parallel like that I believe is safest.
end_of_the_tunnel
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Is Bas still around? Might want to check that part number, looks like SL-B8R5C9H1AWW is the 1ft module.