First timer Samsung H Series LED light strip build help

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
strawberrybananas
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hey everyone,

I've decided to invest in a 4x4 tent to start growing again and this time I'm going to try and make my own LED light strip build. Previously I grew in a small basement grow with 2 1000 HPS lights and I vowed to never grow under HPS bulbs again.

I'm planning on building something like this

but instead of 4 strips for a 2x4 space, I'm planning on doing 10 strips to cover my 4x4 strips.

I have zero electrical background and have been trying to teach myself from post on this webpage and I'm looking for someone to double check my work and to tell me any pitfalls with my build.

Parts - 10x Samsung H series LT-HB22D 3500K
https://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/e ... MGVCIn0%3D

1x HLG-320H-C1050A
https://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/e ... MGVCIn0%3D

10x 3/4 inch wide + 1/4 inch thick aluminum plate for the lights
2x aluminum right angle to build the frame
18 gauge wire to connect the led
1x 14 gauge power connector
1x thermal tape
wago connectors
waterproof junction box/connectors

My plan is to wire them in series and the original plan was to evenly space them out but from my understanding thats not the best idea be cause the middle with create hotspots and the edge lights will be weaker. How would you guys space them out?

Wiring in series = 1 Samsung Strips = 22.5 Vf and 960 mA. In series x10 = 225 Voltage at 960 mA
HLG-320H-C1050A = 152 ~ 305V and 1050 mA to power it.

What do you guys think?
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

It would be cheaper to use 2X the amount of bridgelux strips rather than the samsung strips.
You wouldn't need heatsinks then either
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
strawberrybananas
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Should I return my parts and go with the bridgelux strips ? My samsung strips should be here by Tuesday.
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I thought you were asking for advice prior to purchase. Sorry about that

Upto you what you want to do there. I havent checked on your driver compatibility
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
Shimbob
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Driver will work but only nets about 240W. Might be underpowered for a 4x4.

An HLG-240 could do the same job but if it's too late to change driver that only means you will have another 79 volts at 1.05A left untapped and you could add more leds later.
strawberrybananas
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

If I added 3 more strips and got up closer to 300 watts would this be a decent build? Or should I consider returning everything and starting my build over.

Sorry for the newbie questions. I wouldn't mind keeping the Samsung lights because they were suggested in one of the articles but I also don't want to waste time on something that won't produce solid yields.
the Falcon
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

strawberrybananas wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:46 am
If I added 3 more strips and got up closer to 300 watts would this be a decent build? Or should I consider returning everything and starting my build over.

Sorry for the newbie questions. I wouldn't mind keeping the Samsung lights because they were suggested in one of the articles but I also don't want to waste time on something that won't produce solid yields.
Simply put - you have a 4x4 - and you need at least 30w sq ft - so 16 x 30 = 480. I would use 2, 240 w drivers at the least. Too bad you didn't ask questions before you opened the wallet... :roll: I made a similar mistake on my first LED purchase, even worse really I bought a premade light.... :oops: so don't fret, its part of the learning process.

On checking on those strips they aren't as efficient as the Bridgelux Gen3 and about same as the Gen2 if I'm reading the datasheet correctly. They are also over 3x the cost!!!!! Check this out : https://www.futureelectronics.com/p/lig ... ux-8115970. The price 202.60$ with shipping and everything for 20 strips! I think you might think about starting over.....up to you. Also why are going to wire in series ? I want to understand why people do that ? I was told it's not as safe to do so. I'd love to understand it though... On these strips I would do the HLG 240 or 320 ( if you want to have extra juice instead of being just enough, I would) You can do the 36A driver as it will push 39v if you turn it all the way up on V adjustment. The strips are 38.3v. I can say on the 320 if you put them on a Alu sheet that's .125 thick and attach a few bars lengthwise to stiffen they will run warm to the touch and be bright as hell - I've made 2. I find it easier to just use a big sheet instead of a bunch of metal strips.
the Falcon
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Here's how I made mine : I used a higher volt driver so I could add the red diodes.
Attachments
5D0461C3-4386-4A8C-AFFA-06235A5EB35D.jpeg
strawberrybananas
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hey Falcon,

I'm loving the replies and I'm gonna look to return everything and start from scratch. I haven't ordered any of the aluminum, the tent and other environment stuff isn't here yet and neither are my seeds so there is no rush. (Although the pandemic has me bored out of my fucking mind and that's why I'm starting this hobby again) I went with Samsung strips because that's what I was told to aim for but seeing the data sheets its hard to beat the price of the Bridgelux strips.

New plan. Order 20 of those strips you linked me.

Pair them with with 2 of these
https://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/e ... ND/7704040

Wire them in parallel.

I shouldn't have any problems with plugging 2 of these drivers into a standard 110-120 voltage outlet, right?

Also, the reason why I initially chose to wire in series is because thats how the guy in the youtube video did it and from other articles they say it's better that way to protect the LED's from thermal runway. Is that all overstated and running the strips in parallel is not a big deal? Again, I am complete electrical newbie.
Dust4dust
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

the Falcon wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:25 pm
Here's how I made mine : I used a higher volt driver so I could add the red diodes.
To cut a long story short ,was about to buy Samsung strips (SL-B8V3N80LAWW)wiring in series then adding red later on diff driver (rapiled solderless),after reading this your build is perfect for what I want ,much cheaper

My question is what voltage driver hlg320 did u use, that is 10 rapidled solderless Cree xpg3 wired in parallel on the same driver?