Weird issue with meanwell drivers powering samsung strips

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

You could use a 1-10V potentiometer to do it. Not sure about using resistor pots.

I will try to get a diagram drawn for you today.
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
randorson
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Thanks! Ive only used linear taper pots for dimmers in the past. I use a 50K pot to dim pairs of Mean Well drivers.
bilabong007
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hi,

I had a thought on your problem with the strips being marginally high in voltage. It may be a daft one, so be gentle.

Could you not find the diode grouping on the strips and short one of the diodes on each parallel leg? Essentially just soldering a link around\across it to drop that strips voltage.

Wish you well whatever way it works out, it's been yet another great and informative read going through your thread.

B
randorson
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

bilabong007 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:35 am
Hi,

I had a thought on your problem with the strips being marginally high in voltage. It may be a daft one, so be gentle.

Could you not find the diode grouping on the strips and short one of the diodes on each parallel leg? Essentially just soldering a link around\across it to drop that strips voltage.

Wish you well whatever way it works out, it's been yet another great and informative read going through your thread.

B
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not familiar with "diode groupings".
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

You would really want to have a rework bench before trying to drop an led out of each string.

Sorry for being late with the wiring diagram
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
bilabong007
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

One last thought was to use conductive paint (the stuff to repair heated car glass) rather than soldering.

I have too much time on my hands :geek:
bilabong007
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

randorson wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:38 am
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not familiar with "diode groupings".
From my rudimentary understanding of strips (and i m no expert) they are groups of 3v diodes.

E.g. 5 parallel groups of 12 diodes in series (12x3v) = 36v 60 diode strip

If you work out how your strips are grouped you could short diodes to drop the voltage. There is probably a much easier way to fix this, i would listen to one of the more knowledgeable folk.

B
randorson
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:43 am
You would really want to have a rework bench before trying to drop an led out of each string.

Sorry for being late with the wiring diagram
No apology necessary. I def want to see the diagram so that I can advance my thinking on combining series and parallel circuits. The customer does want to pay to upgrade these lights. I believe I'm going the route of rewiring the 8 existing strips in parallel to be powered, by a HLG-600H-48B, and then adding 3 additional strips to each light, which will be powered by one of the HLG-320H-C1750B's. I believe this will make a decent CO2 ready light.

So can I use that software you told me about to determine the PPFD of the design I am proposing?