EB Gen 2 Build Parts Check

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
Shamz
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hi, I need some confirmation on my parts list for my EB Gen 2 strip build for a 2x4 tent. Would any of the experts on the forum please see if the below parts checks out.

12 X 560mm 3000k EB Gen 2 Strips
1 x hlg-240h-20a

Thanks in advance
Li_Mu_Bai
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I'm no expert, but according to the datasheet 12 of those strips with that driver wired in parallel would require 238.8 watts. The driver is rated at 240w. So you are right up against the limit. I doubt if that would be safe.

It would seem like that is a pretty common configuration with that driver so hopefully someone who may have tried it can respond. Or you could call Mean Well or Digi-key and ask them. This is what I would do to be sure.

Otherwise you could use gen 3 strips as they are more efficient, 12 gen 3 would require 235w, but still not sure that is a safe range.

You can acheive the same thing by using more of the gen 2 strips. 16 strips would require 235w. You can do the math to see which is a cheaper option,
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Shamz wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 10:34 pm
Hi, I need some confirmation on my parts list for my EB Gen 2 strip build for a 2x4 tent. Would any of the experts on the forum please see if the below parts checks out.

12 X 560mm 3000k EB Gen 2 Strips
1 x hlg-240h-20a

Thanks in advance
The forward voltage will be too low on the HLG240-20A you will need a HLG240-24A

With 12 strips they will draw about 200 watts of power.
You would be running each strip at about 17 watts.

Edit
You may be able to squeeze enough voltage out of the HLG240-20A once you turn the voltage adjustment upto full.
Better to add 2 more strips to your builds to drop the voltage down a little further to be safe.
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
Shamz
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Thanks for the replies. I was using the strip build plan from the main website here. Does the “A” and “B” versions of the HLG driver differ in terms of voltage? Will I be able to dim the lights with the built in potentiometer or does it have to stay on full power so the voltage won’t drop?
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

If you can get an AB driver its best. Do not get the B driver for your build because you will likely need to adjust the voltage and you can only do that with an A or AB driver
Find me on Instagram led_teknik