LED strips help?!?!?

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
[email protected]
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Newbie to LED's
With little to no research you quickly realize the 301b/h's are currently leading in tech and of course the DIY option is always budget friendly. Now, to find the best strip, with the most 301's, while keeping in mind cost. I came across 2 that I like; Photoboost and Solstrips. Currently, Solstrips are in stock so that will be the first light and for a second light in the future Photoboost will be used.

Solstrips I believe currently have the leading # of 301's in each strip and they have an option to buy w/a heat sink.
Url:https://solstrip.com/shop/strips-and-st ... solstix-x3

Now for your input: they have 2 seperate type of strips on the particular site: X3-3057B (dual-band) & X3-4030R(dual channel).

I would like to think I could figure out how to wire the dual channel :?: and calculate which driver I would need, and not cut myself short because electricity just makes me uneasy :roll:

In this space I would like a full spectrum light to fill a 2.5ftx8.5ft enclosure. The budget just for strips is $350-$375. I calculate that would be 8 dual band or 7 dual channel. i would like to know if anyone is familiar with the company & a possible wiring diagram for both.
ganjah
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Hi gbaszanda, welcome to the forum. :) Look around and do some research and I think you'll find this site is a wealth of good information - and many people have asked your same or similar questions already.

About the samsung 301b/h, they are at the top of the heap, but you can't get strips with them for any reasonable price. They're very expensive for what you get. Also, their defacto spectrum at 3000k typically needs 660nm and 730nm supplementation to achieve a robust flowering spectrum. That's why you see all the board and 3rd party strip assemblers using lm301b/h also adding those deep and far red diodes.

So I wouldn't necessarily say they're the absolute best. They're certainly not the best for your money. If you were to choose the Bridgelux strips readily available in Gen 2 or Gen 3 at 90cri, you probably wouldn't need that supplementation.

I've read the thread on Solstrips at Overgrow and I've gotten a quote from beaudelaire, but I didn't go that direction because it's still relatively expensive per umole of output. They're good and plenty of folks have used them with success, but, besides the price, I also don't like the diode density of his strips.

I personally would much rather have a single line of diodes per strip in my light fixture because those strips have better thermal characteristics, they provide better spread on the canopy, and they allow you to keep your fixture much closer to the canopy.

But, if you're set on using the Solstrips, email them with your questions about quantity to cover your space and about wiring if this diagram from the link you posted doesn't provide the answer:

Best of luck, and let us know how it goes. :)
[email protected]
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

ok so I started looking at the bridgelux gen 3 :D ,
They have soooooo many..
I haven't seen any of the strips lower than 3000k though.
For a full spectrum light what would you suggest?
A mix of 3000k and 3500k? Seems i would definitely need more red during flower?!?
They also make them in slim version, can someone explain the difference :?: .... maybe a link to these, or at least the 2 footers considering my space is a 2.5x8.5

I did email the solstrip company, they actually suggested supplemental lighting.... which leads me to believe you hit it right on the head and thank you. @ganjah

The samsung f-series also seem like a viable option and they have some builds on the tube,, considering everyone on the net is killing it with them.
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Bridgelux gen3 strips are very good value for money
Get the wider version if you can
I do not reccomend mixing colors
If your goal is to flower with these then I suggest 3000K

If you can get your hands on CRI90 versions then they are better for flowering
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
[email protected]
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I want to build a light with the best efficiency for my space for a full cycle grow. (2.5×8.5). Originally wanted to go photo boost but they are out of stock.
grotbags
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

[email protected] wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:54 am
I want to build a light with the best efficiency for my space for a full cycle grow. (2.5×8.5). Originally wanted to go photo boost but they are out of stock.
have a look at these, very similar to photoboosts and better efficacy - https://www.cutter.com.au/product/ssk-1 ... 35-2835cr/
[email protected]
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:35 pm

I saw your red diodes linked up w/ cutter electronics site. I still don't know how our paths have not crossed prior to this.. Would you suggest the same single strip diodes ganjah is suggesting over bridgelux? I'm currently getting quotes of 20-30 of ganjahs suggested strips, where as photoboost is suggesting less strips to meet the same requirements?
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

[email protected] wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:57 pm
TEKNIK wrote:

I saw your red diodes linked up w/ cutter electronics site. I still don't know how our paths have not crossed prior to this.. Would you suggest the same single strip diodes ganjah is suggesting over bridgelux? I'm currently getting quotes of 20-30 of ganjahs suggested strips, where as photoboost is suggesting less strips to meet the same requirements?
You would have to add it all up as to what works best for you and your electricity prices. First time I've seen Cutter advertising those strips using my reds, cost saving is significant. I prefered the spread my red leds had over the Crees also its only slightly different but it all helps.
If you are in the USA maybe look at the strips from PLC also because you may save on freight.
Bridgelux gen3 cri90 strips will likely be the cheapest option but you need to buy alot more of them to keep the efficiency high which means more wiring. If you are going to drop the light really really low in the canopy then the more strips the better, most people dont do that though because the plants can damage the strips if they touch them.
FlintTownBrown
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:

Tek, why do you recommend the standard width eb gen 3 over the slims? (Sorry to hijack your thread, OP).
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

FlintTownBrown wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:49 am
TEKNIK wrote:

Tek, why do you recommend the standard width eb gen 3 over the slims? (Sorry to hijack your thread, OP).
For starters they are physically stronger, less chance of damaging them using screws if you screw mount.

Main reason is the copper traces are spread out alot more and this improves heat dissipation to make them last longer by running cooler. It will also help a little with efficiency but not alot more.