PLC Heatsink help/suggestions

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
LEDNovice
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hey gang, had a question about a build I'm starting with the Photoboost strips. I'm following GreenGene's 4x4 660w build with 8 bars, 16 strips. In his newest build design, he uses a 1"x2" aluminum extrusion as a frame/spine, and 1"x1" extrusions as heatsinks for the boards. I want to go with a 1"x3" extrusion as the frame to mount the two HLG 320w drivers directly on it, while maybe using the 1"x0.5" profile extrusions as heatsinks to keep the weight to a minimum.

Basically, my question is if the .5" profile extrusions are enough to cool the boards without overheating.

Thanks!
greengenes
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I have not tested the 1/2 profiles, but would say they would not be ideal based on temps for the 1" profiles. 1" HSUSA profiles are similar weight and are on the edge depending on ambient temps, and have much more surface area than the 1/2 tnutz. The 1" profiles were chosen for a reason.
You could use 2 single 1x1 extrusions as a spine with a little gap in the middle to align with the hlg320 holes. and that would save almost 1.75lbs on its own.

Running the led hotter on a lesser profile is just going to sacrifice efficiency/output and over all longevity of the system. Even more so when the driver is on board the unit.
LEDNovice
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

That settles that, I'll go with the 1" profile as you mentioned then.

Thanks