Need driver advice for EB Gen3 Strips

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
Ganjedi
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

SleepthenPhotonStorm wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:31 pm
Your questions aren't stupid buddy,

They are helping me and others out a lot with these builds as I can see what you're looking into and why then can make more informed decision on what I myself should put together.

Getting better each build and could not do that without people like yourself listing plenty of options.
Thanks for those encouraging words my friend !

Now that I think about it , I myself roamed around different sities/forums to do some research and it definitely helped reading threads like this one hehe :D
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Its much better to ask questions than make a mistake.
Your questions are fine, I just worry about people getting confused or over loaded with information. I saw you speaking with Cobshop, he is a good guy and not out to give you wrong info.
There are multiple ways of achieving the same outcome and that's why too much information often leads to confusion.
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
Ganjedi
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:57 am
Its much better to ask questions than make a mistake.
Your questions are fine, I just worry about people getting confused or over loaded with information. I saw you speaking with Cobshop, he is a good guy and not out to give you wrong info.
There are multiple ways of achieving the same outcome and that's why too much information often leads to confusion.
Thanks for being so positive Teknik :D

I emailed a few meanwell distributors in my country and wanted to let them know which driver I was looking for to check if they can get me those so that I dont have to order them from arrow/digikey.
So as I mentioned earlier I shortlisted 3 drivers HLG-320H-20B / HLG-320H-24B / HLG 320H-42B , for my 20x 2feet eb gen3 strips which one do I go for ? I assume I should go for the HLG 320H-42B right ?

Another question that popped up in my head was if one of those 20 strips was to stop working then will that make all the 20 strips stop working or will only that one strip stop working ? And if some strips do fail , will they automatically affect the ones that are working by bombarding them with more power and having a risk of destroying them as well ?
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

One of the reasons to run them at low current is so if one strip does fail it then spreads out the current through the remaining strips, if you have low current to begin with and alot of strips then one failing will not damage the others.
You will notice the failure within a day or 2 and be able to rectify the problem.
Strips that are mass produced like the bridgelux strips have a very low failure rate.
You will likely find that Arrow is cheaper for drivers than anyone local. If you use 2ft strips you will need to do a series/parallel connection. Not big deal to do this and it will be easy on a HLG320-42
Ganjedi
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:32 am

You will likely find that Arrow is cheaper for drivers than anyone local. If you use 2ft strips you will need to do a series/parallel connection. Not big deal to do this and it will be easy on a HLG320-42
Wanted to see if I can get it from local distributor so that I can avail the warranty if needed and it may even be cheaper for me since ordering from Arrow will include shipping/import duties. Any idea if the meanwell drivers have global warranty ? Like can I avail the warranty in my country if I order it from the US ?
Ganjedi
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

@TEKNIK Another question , power outages are rare but they do happen once in a while ... sometimes the electricity trips in the whole building for a few seconds and comes back so will my lights be safe ? Or do I need to do something so that they dont get damaged by outages and trips.
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Warranty should be covered by the company that sold you the product regardless of it it comes from the USA or not. Arrow has distributors and distribution centers all around the world.

Regarding power failure and trips. Your drivers do have a certain level of protection built into them. Its more important that you have good power to the drivers along with a circuit breaker is what I reccomend.
Ganjedi
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

@TEKNIK So I was trying to gather supplies till my strips and drivers arrive ... so for my build (20x 2' eb gen 3 strips on 1x hlg-320h-42b driver) how many and which wagos would I need for the series parallel setup ? and which wires should I buy ?
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Ganjedi wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:44 am
@TEKNIK So I was trying to gather supplies till my strips and drivers arrive ... so for my build (20x 2' eb gen 3 strips on 1x hlg-320h-42b driver) how many and which wagos would I need for the series parallel setup ? and which wires should I buy ?
I would get a box of 5 way wagos
They always come in handy, box is 25pcs
Ganjedi
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:45 am

I would get a box of 5 way wagos
They always come in handy, box is 25pcs
The thing is where I'm at , we dont get boxes of wagos ... I found a site in my country that sells wagos per piece so I wanted to know which ones and how many to buy ... I have to connect 2 strips in series and connect those in parallel right ? So I will need the 2 way wagos for series I assume ? and which other do I need ? 5 way ? Also they have the small wagos with 5 way or the big ones with 5 way , which ones am I looking to buy ?