FIrst Build with Samsung InFlux 4000k

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
Helios
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hello Ledgardeners, I just found this site some weeks ago and I am more of an outdoors guy when I comes to growing, I did some indoor gardening with CFL and HPS some time ago but now I am hooked up and want to try only LEDs this winter season.
I really appreciate al the work you guys did, especially LEDgardener. His site and videos have given me a lot of input about gardening with LEDs. If it wasn`t for him and Growmau5 I would still think that LEDs suck and are way to expensive like I thought last years until mid 2017 :oops:

Ok, that's enough intro now I would like to ask something about my project.

I have two projects, one for flowering with 3000k cxb3590 LEDs and this one for veging at 4000k with LM561c. In a perfect world I would add the 4000k veg light to the 3000k to have more intense light or a bigger light spread and mix spectrums. Time will tell if I mix both lights or just go with the 3000k CXB3590 for flowering.

I was quite inspired by the Quantum Boards builds on this site but could not get hands on one until now and black firday prices made the situation even worse, anything that I wanted was sold out for eternities.

So in order to get somthing going I looked around and found Samsungs inFlux line that also uses LM561c LEDs.
https://news.samsung.com/global/samsung ... l-lighting
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/ ... ine/influx
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/ ... ev.1.0.pdf

I chose the biggest strip that is made of 96 pcs of LM561c (S6 bin) LEDs with the following data:

inFlux_L09 4000K
9100lm Luminous Flux
137lm/W Efficacy
66.6W Power Consumption
48.2V Input Voltage

Choosing a driver was a little bit hard as I wanted to go for efficacy but I also wanted to get a lot of light :lol: Unfortunately the drivers that I wanted came in two versions. A)1200mA / 1400mA / 1550 mA and B)500mA / 600mA / 700mA. Both non dimmable.

I wanted looking for something in between 700 and 1200 mA. Well I went for power instead efficacy, still not 100% sure about my descision.

I hope I am getting the numbers right as this is still new and sometimes confusing to me.

If I use one LED strip and drive it with 1200mA and the input voltage is 48.2V then one strip would consume 57.84W? Isn't that way to much to be efficient? I also get a lot of heat and need big heavy heatsinks which makes building and hanging the rig more difficult. Would it be a good idea to get more more strips and drive them at just 700mA or is that way to low to get good results especially if I want to use my 4000k lights later in combined with the 3000k for flowering.

My heatsinks are big and chunky 120w (600mm x 25mm x 100mm), I could also place 2 Strips and drive them at 1200 but originaly I wanted to go with one Led strip per heatsink for better light spread.

Maybe the community can give me some feedback and ideas around my build as this is still some what confusing and new to me. But I am happy to be on board and to do a DIY and learn something new instead of buiying some thing pre build. :P
parthitis
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I was looking at the influx series and trying to compare it to the F series and things weren't making sense. The influx series needs more led chips and gets a lower efficiency to produce the same light. Then I realized that the influx series are based on the LM301A chip when reading the press release you linked to, not the lm561c.

https://www.digikey.com/products/en?mpa ... 0WW&v=1510 Would be roughly the same setup in the F series, with the double row of leds and the same dimensions. It should do should be able to pull 175lm/watt+ on the F series and only consume about 51.5 watts for 9000 lumens. They have bigger sizes too...
Data sheet: https://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data%20Sh ... -01-05.pdf

My experience with F series Led strips have been that you don't need an expensive heatsink or active cooling. I used aluminum U channel ($10 for 8ft at big box stores) and mounted the strips onto it with thermal tape. you can also look at heatsinkusa for heatsinks with fins and more cooling for not that much more than the u channel.
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Hi Helios,

Welcome! Good to have you.

Have you already purchased the Influx strips?
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
Helios
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

@parthitis
Now it all makes sense. Tbh I did find and read the Samsung docs after the purchase. Now I am thinking how to use the stripes. Maybe I could drive them less harder in order to get better efficiency because that is the reason I switched to LED. I did not want to increase the grow area but I wanted to get less heat dissipation and reduse my power consumption.

@LEDG
I have purchased the influx chips and now I am thinking of giving them good use while driving them less harder and maybe use their heatsinks for a build of 2 piec cxb3590 3000k bars and still use the 4000k influx strips as veg light and add them to my 3000k CXBs later when I flowering begins.

I am still enthusiastic and positive and do not see my investment as a loss. I think it is better then vegging with MH lights or CFL like in the old days. :lol:

(Next year I look for quantum boards or what ever will follow. )
parthitis
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

You can still use the influx chips! It's definitely not a loss. They're a little bit less efficient, but should still perform pretty well for you. You can balance your desired output with the wattage you're driving them at for the most optimal situation for you. They are still going to be way better than MH and CFL lights for sure!

Btw, quanatum boards are pcb boards with lm561c chips. They're very similar to using these led strips, just different arrangement shape for the leds.
Takeshy
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

If these strips are built with LM561C diodes they should be as efficient as any other LM561C board/strip.
If you want a cheaper option go with F Series Gen3, there is a significant change in price per diode on those strips.
https://www.digikey.com/products/en?key ... 8T521560WW
Each SI-B8T521560WW strip has 144 diodes and cost 26.51$ at the first price break.
Helios
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Takeshy wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:43 am
If these strips are built with LM561C diodes
I made a big mistake during research. I was getting desperate because I couldn't source any Quantum Boards on stock or bars with the LM561C LEDs. Then by chance I found this strips and thought that the SAMSUNG influx09 strips come with said LEDs. TBH I mentioned various times how I liked the LM561C and that I was looking forward to build a light with the Influx09 strips but I do not know if the shop (only LED stuff) knew the difference or just wanted to make a quick sale ( I do not think so), However I think he should have known about different LEDs as they build and sale horticultural lights.

Influx 09 Strips come with LM301A

Well that is that. :|

I bought all the parts to build 4 lights but the heatsinks are 2 times as big as they have to be and I would like to add some 3000k to the existing 4000k strips. I think I will put one 4000k led strip per heatsink and try to get some 3000k strips next time. Then I could mix spectrums and 'ignite' the 3000k when I start flowering.

Still quite impressed by the light output of this strips. Today I tested the first strip. I am still blinded. I have no dimmer and have to run them at 1200 or 400 or 1550 mA.

Price was around 19 or 20 Euros per LED strip, each strip comes with 98 LEDs

Sorry no pics today.
Ted
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Helios wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:33 pm
Takeshy wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:43 am
If these strips are built with LM561C diodes
I made a big mistake during research. I was getting desperate because I couldn't source any Quantum Boards on stock or bars with the LM561C LEDs. Then by chance I found this strips and thought that the SAMSUNG influx09 strips come with said LEDs. TBH I mentioned various times how I liked the LM561C and that I was looking forward to build a light with the Influx09 strips but I do not know if the shop (only LED stuff) knew the difference or just wanted to make a quick sale ( I do not think so), However I think he should have known about different LEDs as they build and sale horticultural lights.

Influx 09 Strips come with LM301A

Well that is that. :|

I bought all the parts to build 4 lights but the heatsinks are 2 times as big as they have to be and I would like to add some 3000k to the existing 4000k strips. I think I will put one 4000k led strip per heatsink and try to get some 3000k strips next time. Then I could mix spectrums and 'ignite' the 3000k when I start flowering.

Still quite impressed by the light output of this strips. Today I tested the first strip. I am still blinded. I have no dimmer and have to run them at 1200 or 400 or 1550 mA.

Price was around 19 or 20 Euros per LED strip, each strip comes with 98 LEDs

Sorry no pics today.
Ultimately, its going to grow plants just fine, and the difference in electricity is not going to be substantial.
Helios
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Tomorrow I will hang this light bar and see if my plants like it.

The first lamp will replace my 2x55W CFL veg light.
(I started with one M30 Led from Austria (27W) and then got a second one when plants started to grow. Then again I had to hang the old CFL next to it because plants were getting to big for 2 small M30 lamps. Problem is the price tag of said Austrian lights so I dicided to build my first led. 2x55W CFL gives me heat issues in my small vegging space (closet) and with one M30 and even two M30 it was a little bit to cold :lol:

The two thinks that keep on bothering me are the size and weight of the heatsink and that I sitll am not 100% sure how to define the efficincy of this light compared with the ones that I wanted (LM561C).

Still not sure if 1200mA @ 48.2V are to much but I couldn't find another driver wiht lower mA besides 700mA.
Helios
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I have made some modifications to my lamps and switching away from DIY. :(

I did not like to drive the strips so hard (heat) so I connected two influx 09 strips to one driver (Osram OT FIT 80 Led driver). Now I am using the "real estate" of the heatsink better. The LED strips are on the outside of the heatsink and the driver is mounted in the middle between the strips but on the topside where the cooling fins are.

I would like to know the output but do not know how to make the math (2 strips and one driver).

I think I am going to sell the two remaining heatsinks because I do not have enough confidence to make a complete run with 4000k and I couldn't get the 3000k strips until now and am not willig to buy "old technology".

My new lights are factory build and have a decent reputation over here but they are very expensice (S4W, S2W and M30). I will give them a try and next winter is going to be more diy. Thinking of 6 or more Quantum Boards.