parallel strip wiring methods

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
unclebilly
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hey guys, ive built a few strip lights always wiring in parallel to keep voltage down.

i always wire from the driver +/- to a terminal block and a seperate pair of wires to each strip.

this next fixture i'm building is real long and i don't want to run 20 miles of wire lol.

i know if i connect positive to positive neg to neg than ill technically be wiring parallel, but will the internal circuitry of the strips not fail from the current adding up? or have i been staring at it too long confusing myself.
i found this picture on an older post to show what i mean.

would you have any concern wiring like this ? i think it's just the same as using a terminal block no? total driver output current just divides by number of strips? i think it just looks bad to me. need peace of mind.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 2.43.36 PM.png
PeteR_1
LED Tinker
LED Tinker
Reactions:

unclebilly wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:44 pm
Hey guys, ive built a few strip lights always wiring in parallel to keep voltage down.

i always wire from the driver +/- to a terminal block and a seperate pair of wires to each strip.

this next fixture i'm building is real long and i don't want to run 20 miles of wire lol.

i know if i connect positive to positive neg to neg than ill technically be wiring parallel, but will the internal circuitry of the strips not fail from the current adding up? or have i been staring at it too long confusing myself.
i found this picture on an older post to show what i mean.

would you have any concern wiring like this ? i think it's just the same as using a terminal block no? total driver output current just divides by number of strips? i think it just looks bad to me. need peace of mind.
There is a Maximum number / length of LED Strips that can be daisy chained due to excessive voltage drop and resistance of the PCB traces, its usually four (4) LED Strips max, ~ 4 ft or 1120 mm... You could possibly do 2-Series / Parallel / Daisy Chain and still remain under 54 Vdc, depending on the Vf of the LED Strips, [Vf * 2 < 54 Vdc].

Parallel/DaisyChain and Serial/Parallel/DaisyChain...
Maximum DaisyChained PCB length is 48 in or 1200 mm

Standard Parallel, Series, Series/Parallel and Parallel/DaisyChain Wiring Diagrams
Rocket Soul
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Also worth mentioning: the connectors of the first strip are gonna get HOT: as they will take the full current of the whole string. This kind of connections are usually best to leave it to 2-3 strips and then connect these strings as individual parallel strings in the standard way, depending on how much current you are giving each strip.
unclebilly
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Basically I have a 3 tier shelf that is 6ft long.

(My other fixtures were for cannabis, this one for tropical house plants, so much less light)

I want to run a single 6ft strip (made up of 3 560mm eb strips) down each of the 3 levels

Would the internal circuitry and connectors hold up if I had 3 560mm strips daisy chained in parallel?

I am using an XLG 200 24a. I will turn voltage down to 18.5v and pull 700ma per strip. Running them soft. Any concerns with wiring like the picture?
Attachments
61DA1B69-41F7-463F-B349-7A319ABFD829.jpeg
PeteR_1
LED Tinker
LED Tinker
Reactions:

unclebilly wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:36 pm
Basically I have a 3 tier shelf that is 6ft long.
(My other fixtures were for cannabis, this one for tropical house plants, so much less light)
I want to run a single 6ft strip (made up of 3 560mm eb strips) down each of the 3 levels
Would the internal circuitry and connectors hold up if I had 3 560mm strips daisy chained in parallel?
I am using an XLG 200 24a. I will turn voltage down to 18.5v and pull 700ma per strip. Running them soft. Any concerns with wiring like the picture?
The typical recommendation is 4 feet (1200 mm) maximum Daisy Chained, you can try the 1680 mm, its not recommended but could be tested for Voltage (drop) and Current at each strip junction.

The XLG-200-24A will auto adjust for the Vf of the connected LED Strips... The internal "Current Pot" should be adjust for ~ 126 Watts Vdc output or ~ 135 Watts VAC input.
[ 126 watts / 0.94 eff = 134 watts input ].

Your wiring Diagram looks OK...