Bridgelux eb3 high output strip build

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
1337freake
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hi,

New to led, been wanting to try for a while now but most are just so far out of my price range so after a little reading I've decided I will try and DIY one :)

So I've been looking at the various strips available and come across these bridgelux gen3 high output strips https://www.bridgelux.com › ...PDF
Bridgelux® EB Series™ Gen 3 High Output
The ones I'm looking at are the 4ft, 3000k, 80cri strips. According to the data sheet they can be run at 1400ma, 38.4v, 53.8w per strip.

So I was think of using either 9 or 10 of these to light a 4x4 space to replace 1 600w hps as a test in my room.

Now the questions...
I'm not to sure on how to go about matching drivers to leds, from what I can gather to run 10 strips at 1400ma I'd need a 14amp constant current driver wired parallel (I've no clue really :roll: ). The voltage part I'm not to sure about either the drivers I could find had a range of voltage rather than a set figure, is it a case of aslong as the amps are right and the voltage is somewhere within the range specified on the driver it will be fine? I'm assuming youd only use the voltage you need?

What would be the heat sinking requirement to run these strips at that power? Would I get away with aluminium U channel?

I'm struggling to find any good information to read about matching drivers, I'm sure it's out there maybe I'm just not putting in the right key words.. so any useful links that would help along my journey would be much appreciated also :D

Thanks
1337freake
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Ok so I've been doing a bit more reading and decided a hlg 600h 42a driving 10 strips in parallel would be a good match. From what I can work out I'd only be slightly above nominal V and A rating of the strips so should be able to run them at the full 600w.

Heat sinking I was thinking 25x19x3.2mm aluminium channel.

Can anyone confirm whether or not I've got this right and if the aluminium channel will be suitable?

Thanks
garnier
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

heey,

it depends on the budget of course... but using 2020 aluminium profiles makes building fixtures simple job. looks stylish and sleek also performing very well.

there is plenty of choices 2020 1020 3030 3015 and so on...
only the disadvantage is the price especially when it comes to accessories and joining bits ( tslot nuts bracket's etc ).

but heey if you have 3d printer or some friend has got one you can print these bits yourself for pennies..
Shimbob
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

A better idea: buy more strips instead of 2020 bars. Running those at 1.4A is not recommended if you value efficiency.
1337freake
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Shimbob wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:01 pm
A better idea: buy more strips instead of 2020 bars. Running those at 1.4A is not recommended if you value efficiency.
How many would you recommend? 1400ma was the nominal current on the data sheet and says it should be 186l/w at 1400ma and 38.4v. Maximum current is 2800ma.

These are the strips I'll be using
https://www.digikey.co.uk/en/products/d ... 3/13181815
Shimbob
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Oh, maximum is 2.8A? Never mind me, was thinking of another strip.
Try to figure out the sweet spot where you get enough strips that you don't need any heat sink at all. But they're also floppy strips so you need a stiff frame. Too many ways to skin the cat!
1337freake
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Shimbob wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:46 am
Oh, maximum is 2.8A? Never mind me, was thinking of another strip.
Try to figure out the sweet spot where you get enough strips that you don't need any heat sink at all. But they're also floppy strips so you need a stiff frame. Too many ways to skin the cat!
I thought you might have been, how would I work out how many I would need without heat sinking is it in the data sheet somewhere?
garnier
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

emmmm
So what do you want to attach strips to?

they will be just levitating in open space be power of mind?
Shimbob
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

garnier wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:44 pm
they will be just levitating in open space be power of mind?
Tried that, didn't work.

But this is working for me. Didn't use the best double-sided tape at first so a few of them came loose and hence the green wire ties here and there. I'll overhaul the light at some point and go with GorillaGlue doubled sided tape, that seems to be the good stuff.
IMG_20210913_105725.jpg
garnier
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

thank you for input.
please do not take this as offence...
till now I thought the fixtures I produce are mess.
it is hard to create nice fixture when it's done home.
but in my opinion it must have at least some kind of frame. these strips are fragile and quite pricey.
I can't imagine having something like this and accidentally break something.

also electricity.
I think safety first no matter what.
using only good quality connectors etc

if I had something like this plugged into main I would not sleep well