Basic First-timer Samsung Strip Build

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
Karlsef
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Good afternoon everybody,

Quite new to the LED gardening scene; originally I had focused on CFLs back in the day and recently thought I would get into LEDs, foolishly purchasing one of those UFO models on Amazon.

Long story short(ish) I have put together a build and started ordered minor parts for the project. I am going to be using 12x of these Samsung SI-B8V05128HUS 1 foot strips (as a Canadian there are not many other 1 foot options at the moment with the specs I am looking for). This will be mounted onto a suitably sized heatsink for my 2x2x4 tent.

Aside from the driver and strips, all the basic parts and a potentiometer have been ordered. With that being said, I am having some difficulty determining the best Meanwell driver to use for this project and I would be open to some suggestions. As well, any other suggestions regarding this build would be greatly appreciated; as I said this will be my first DIY attempt.

Cheers to all!
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

first off, welcome to the forum 😁

H series 1' strips are 24v with a 600ma max current... so using LG'S parallel strip build calculator... running all 12 at 75% of max current (450ma) he suggests a hlg150h-24.
https://www.arrow.com/en/products/hlg-1 ... nterprises ( I used arrow as a link because there is no duties for our friends to the north 😁)

wide open that driver will put 525ma to each strip.( 6.3 total amps.. you need 5.4 for the 75%). which is close to max but it should not hurt them unless not properly heat sinked.

any other questions ask away 😁
again welcome!!
Karlsef
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hey JollyGreen :D , thanks for this reply!

Makes sense!

EDIT : Everything has been ordered, went for Gen 3 2 foot strips instead however! Looking forward to updating with frame specs and progress.
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Karlsef wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:47 pm

Makes sense!

EDIT : Everything has been ordered, went for Gen 3 2 foot strips instead however! Looking forward to updating with frame specs and progress.
Which ones? LT-F562B or LT-F564B?
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
Karlsef
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

LEDG wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:12 pm
Karlsef wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:47 pm

Makes sense!

Which ones? LT-F562B or LT-F564B?
Grabbed the F562B models; everything came in yesterday except for the heatshrink ; this should be an enjoyable weekend :D !
Karlsef
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Doing pretty good with the frame over here - I just had one last question if anybody had a second. Picked up the HLG-150H-24A for 4 of these strips; I assume parallel wiring is the way to go? Cheers!

Edit : I foolishly bought a constant current driver with a much higher amp (6.3) output, and a lower voltage than I would need to series wire these strips. However, I think I could still use this driver to parallel these strips unless I am missing something?

https://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/e ... ND/7703921 driver with https://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/e ... ND/6624001 strips
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

You’ve got the right driver. The Digi-key description is not completely accurate since it is a constant voltage + constant current driver, and not just a constant current driver like it says. Wire them all in parallel and you have a great match.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!