Heat Sinks

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
Tkb88
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Does anyone know other suppliers other than heatsink usa to order from? They're out of stock on the 1" wide. I don't have anywhere that sells U channel that wide, unless 1" angle would work?

Thanks!
Buck5050
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I have seen some builds with the 1" aluminum angle. But it depends on how hard you want to drive you led's. I have noticed that even a small amount of air movement across a heat sink will lower your temps pretty well. With that said if your running fans in your room and can blow past your fixtures heat build up won't be an issue. Unless your pushing max current for the diodes.
Tkb88
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I have seen some builds with the 1" aluminum angle. But it depends on how hard you want to drive you led's. I have noticed that even a small amount of air movement across a heat sink will lower your temps pretty well. With that said if your running fans in your room and can blow past your fixtures heat build up won't be an issue. Unless your pushing max current for the diodes.
I kind of wanted the option to drive them harder. Even if I drive them hard they're still going to be more efficient than a CFL. They're going to be used for starting veggies right now. Do you think there would be a benefit using the U channel over the angle? Both are probably thicker than the actual heatsink, but lacking the fins.

Thanks!
Strelok
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Tkb88 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:27 pm
Do you think there would be a benefit using the U channel over the angle?
I'm not an engineer or anything but I would think that the more surface area there is the more effective the heat transfers out of the metal and into the air. Building on this idea; a U shape would be better than an L (or angle), and an L would be better than a straight bar. Thicker material also probably works better. Because it gives more capacity to hold heat before its transferred to the air.

When I think of a typical heat sink design, its made of a thickish base material and then as many as possible very skinny fins / pins extending out of it.
Tkb88
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I'm not an engineer or anything but I would think that the more surface area there is the more effective the heat transfers out of the metal and into the air. Building on this idea; a U shape would be better than an L (or angle), and an L would be better than a straight bar. Thicker material also probably works better. Because it gives more capacity to hold heat before its transferred to the air.
I'd probably agree. I finally found a place that has U channel for $15/8ft. I'll probably go with that, it's about the same price as the angle I can get.
garnier
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

At least you have heatsinkusa to order them from.

We have nothing here in city of steel Sheffield UK.
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

garnier wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:48 pm
At least you have heatsinkusa to order them from.

We have nothing here in city of steel Sheffield UK.
that sucks. the Pittsburgh equivalent in the U.K. doesn't have a good vendor.. I think heatsinkusa is in Michigan but still part of our rust belt. ( rust belt= all our old metal producing factories just sitting there rusting from not being used... from Baltimore to Pittsburgh up to Detroit and Buffalo. 😢)