Q-series serial test build

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

That driver will be cutting it very close and you’ll likely be a touch over the max voltage fo the constant current range but it’ll probably be okay. Might lose a little bit of current on the output. The Samsung calculator says 9 of those strips in series @700mA will be 100.8V.

The driver you linked is straight C.C..
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
PurpleGunRack
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Thanks for your input :D

Would it be better to use a different driver, or do a parallel build?

Didn't spot that the driver is CC :roll:
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

PurpleGunRack wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:27 pm
I'm a bit uneasy about the mixed CC/CV ''A'' type driver, but I would like to avoid getting/fitting a potentiometer for a ''B'' type.

What do you guys think about that driver (and build)?
both CC( 60h-"C ma") and CV+CC(60h-"Volts") should both have A/B types. along with a third or fourth dimming option sometimes

look for a liner taper potentiometer that has wired leads on it and wago( wire nut) to the driver's leads. 😁
PurpleGunRack
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Thanks JGG :D

Do you have a link to such a potentiometer?
I couldn't find any on my locally based online electronics store...

I have enough wagos and maybe even enough wire left from my QB's, for a serial build ;)

Got the strips today :D
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B071GL8G ... ref=plSrch

only one that popped up quick without a lot of digging... and it looks weird in the picture 😄 black should be in the middle with reds on each side( if it is 3 wired)

you could always use spade connectors also.. stick the wire in the one end and pinch it.. then slide the spade ( not the fork/full circle kind normally they are totally encased in the plastic/vinyl ) the clip it onto the potentiometer. like this multi size male/female set
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01DDBAO ... ref=plSrch
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

PurpleGunRack wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:31 am
Thanks for your input :D

Would it be better to use a different driver, or do a parallel build?

Didn't spot that the driver is CC :roll:
I like constant current for little builds like this. I think you’ve made a good choice with the CC.

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Jolly Green Giant wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:03 pm
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B071GL8G ... ref=plSrch

only one that popped up quick without a lot of digging... and it looks weird in the picture 😄 black should be in the middle with reds on each side( if it is 3 wired)

you could always use spade connectors also.. stick the wire in the one end and pinch it.. then slide the spade ( not the fork/full circle kind normally they are totally encased in the plastic/vinyl ) the clip it onto the potentiometer. like this multi size male/female set
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01DDBAO ... ref=plSrch
Most potentiometers you’ll see will have three terminals. The outer 2 will have the full resistance of the pot between them no matter where you turn the knob. The left and center will usually have zero resistance when the knob is turned fully counter-clockwise and full resistance when the knob is turned fully clockwise. The right and center will be the opposite of this.

If it’s only got 2 terminals, it’s called a rheostat which is just a variable resistor and would do the same thing.

Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

it just looked funny with the wires on the outer two poles 😁 I was thinking to myself.. WTH?? that isn't going to do anything! lol
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Jolly Green Giant wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:56 am
it just looked funny with the wires on the outer two poles 😁 I was thinking to myself.. WTH?? that isn't going to do anything! lol
For sure. That configuration with 3 wires is using it as a voltage divider.

PurpleGunRack
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

]Allright the build is done, well almost, I accidently ordered the wrong AC connector so I just used 2 wagos and it's not to shabby :)

I tested the lamp for 5 minutes today, and I don't understand why it only draws 52w? 0,7 x 100 should be around 70w, no?
However it works, is very bright and this way of constructing a ~1m strip lamp is certainly long enough for a 120cm x 120cm (4x4) tent, but I think the 4' strips will fit and easier to build with.
Sucks that the minimum order of 1' F-series strips is 160 :roll:

It was very good to do a test build, and I learned a lot for future builds, and acquired all the small bits so I just need strips, drivers and heatsinks for next round.

Some of the things I learned:

- Map out the build with the parts and do all drilling before assembling the heatsink
- Don't use permanent marker on the heatsink/framing, alcohol won't dissolve it
- Don't use mountings, next time I'll use L channels, or threaded rods with nuts and washers
- Make sure you've done all drilling before taping the strips on the U channels

DSC02907.JPG
DSC02907.JPG (7.69 MiB) Viewed 949 times
DSC02909.JPG
DSC02909.JPG (7.72 MiB) Viewed 949 times
DSC02912.JPG
DSC02912.JPG (7.66 MiB) Viewed 949 times
DSC02914.jpg
DSC02914.jpg (3.33 MiB) Viewed 949 times
DSC02917.JPG
DSC02917.JPG (7.76 MiB) Viewed 949 times
DSC02930.JPG
DSC02930.JPG (7.43 MiB) Viewed 949 times
DSC02931.JPG
DSC02931.JPG (7.69 MiB) Viewed 949 times
DSC02933.jpg
DSC02933.jpg (2.44 MiB) Viewed 949 times
DSC02937.JPG
DSC02937.JPG (7.84 MiB) Viewed 949 times
DSC02919.jpg
DSC02919.jpg (684.41 KiB) Viewed 949 times
DSC02941.JPG
DSC02941.JPG (7.48 MiB) Viewed 949 times
DSC02943.JPG
DSC02943.JPG (7.58 MiB) Viewed 949 times

I will soon deploy the lamp in real action and see how it performs.

I'll make a list of items and prices with some links for euro-builders :D

Thanks for all your help, it really made a big difference :48: