Shenzhen Bright Technology - Strip build

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
balderdash
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I've received a quote +shipping on 10x 2' 48pc 561c 3500k strips from Shenzhen Bright Technology on alibaba. Comes in right around 100CAD. These are essentially, pending quality review, LT-H562D strips which are $17.89CAD on digikey.

That's 480 LEDs at about $0.20 per LED, all things considered.

To make 35W/sqft in a 2x2, I'd need to drive them at 101mA - 140W @180lm/W.

Driving all of them at 150mA would pull ~215W and at max current, ~294W @160lm/W. I don't plan on pushing them past 75%

The plan is to arrange to strips in a 22" square.

Still having pulled the trigger but I'm getting close!
Sativant
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

That sounds like a perfect light for a 2x2. Will you space the strips evenly ?
balderdash
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Sativant wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:20 am
That sounds like a perfect light for a 2x2. Will you space the strips evenly ?
You bet. With the strips centered in a 2x2, there's just an inch play on either end. It's almost too tight but it should work out fine. I like the idea of even coverage over the entire space. I'm not 100% on which driver to go with
J.R.R.Toking
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I've been struggling with this same question lately.

Shenzhen Bright Technology is exactly the place I've been looking at for some reel LM561C flexible strips, and I don't know...they definitely are not as nice looking as the Samsungs available on DigiKey. It seems as though many of their products only have a 2 year warranty on them as well...if you even are considering sending lights back on a slow boat to China.

I'm looking at the cost per LED between the F-Series Samsung with 288 diodes/4' (actually a little over 44 inches) off DigiKey, and the 60 diodes/meter Shenzhen offered me. Shenzhen comes in at @ 9 cents per, and the Samsung off DigiKey are @ 17 cents each. So the Samsung chips are twice as expensive, but in my 4'x3' area I can pack 1152 diodes along 4 strips, while using 60/meter I'd need to outfit 18 strips. And when you add the cost for additional frame and heatsinks, Wagos/soldering, wiring etc., the cost difference is less and less. Plus, I believe the Samsung strips are probably better made, and definitely have better warranty. I get concerned when a sales pitch includes that one item is, "essentially" the same as the top dog...but that's just me.

If they're available in Canada, I'd look at the Samsung 2', 144 per strips, and see if it's worth it...4 of those should do your 2'x2' easily...and I think DigiKey has free shipping on orders over $100.

Either way, GL.
majorana
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

balderdash wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:28 pm
I've received a quote +shipping on 10x 2' 48pc 561c 3500k strips from Shenzhen Bright Technology on alibaba. Comes in right around 100CAD. These are essentially, pending quality review, LT-H562D strips which are $17.89CAD on digikey.
[...]
Still having pulled the trigger but I'm getting close!
I've been in touch with them too. They've been in the business for seven years and have nothing but glowing reviews. When I asked them about 301b diodes they said they'll have to redesign their templates (at a cost; the diode geometry is different), and also said that 90CRI 561C's are out of stock but can be ordered with a 2-3 week lead time. Hardly the attitude of a salesperson trying to scam / push at all costs. For me this is enough to assume it's a legit deal at a good price. The only way to make it better is put in a larger order (I'm guessing shipping turns out to be a high % of the total cost with a small order.)
balderdash
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

J.R.R.Toking wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:59 am
...and I think DigiKey has free shipping on orders over $100.
This is something I didn't take into account on cost comparison. I'm never opposed to a little more research. The struggle is real... The logistics of ordering things from Shenzhen is definitely a turn off. I'll look into Canadian 144pc 2' , which I also hadn't yet considered.