Found - good value aluminium sheets/heatsink for mounting LED strips

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
robchenski
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

These may be useful for DIY strip builds. 1000mm x 390mm and bigger for £3.71 + delivery.

It can be very expensive to get similar sized sheets hete but here's a UK based company with some products (underfloor heating aluminium diffuser plates) that can be re-purposed for mounting and some heatsinking.

For a jolly big sheet of Aluminium they're pretty good value.

Fairly thin but would surely dissipate some good heat with that surface area.

And channels for running cooling pipes..

It's cheaper to buy 5 pieces than it is 4! Plus some delivery

Shop page
Last edited by robchenski on Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J.R.R.Toking
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

This might be a very good find. Thermal transfer is what these are for, so one would think they are good for our purpose.

EDIT: THIS MIGHT BE TOO THIN, BUT I'LL LOOK FOR OTHER OPTIONS.

We have these in the states...here's a link I found after a brief search. 4.5 inches wide x 4 feet long...so for $2.50 each + shipping you could easily use these for 2-1 inch (wide) strips (spaced @ 4 inches apart), or for one of the 1.5 inch strips (double diode). Proper 2-inch heatsinks from heatsinkusa.com are looking to run me @ $120 for 6 of them, while 6 of these shipped is under $25...cheaper than Angle Aluminum!

I believe you've found your guinea pig, to see how these work in a build! Again, seeing as these are designed to transfer heat (for under tile floors), you'd think they would be fine for us...and , again, it's cheaper than Angle Aluminum at a home improvement store. I'm going flatten that channel out using a 2"x4" and hammering on top of it.

Thanks for the head's-up, and I'll report back and let everyone know how it goes!

Here's the link...this was just one I found upon a quick search, so there may be cheaper...and/or thicker. At .016 of an inch think, we'll need the 4.5 inches to dissipate the heat.

http://www.houseneeds.com/heating/radia ... ch-htp-40m

ShowMe
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

This is the heavy version: https://radiantdesignandsupply.com/tfinc/

I tried to get a sample about a year ago but they sent the thin one. If you end up getting pricing let me know what they're asking since this would be an almost universal LED cooling solution if you used copper pipe and water-cooling. I was looking at them for COB cooling, which could probably be made to work, but they look perfect for all this mid-power stuff that's out now.
ShowMe
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I found some contractor pricing sheets saying Thermofin C (the heavy stuff) is about $27 per 8'.

Here's someone claiming the Thermofin U is $12.55/8': http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=275099180

I can't find a way to buy just one or two sticks of this stuff, and if you buy it direct they'll hit you with a $50 handling fee if you don't want a huge box of it. All the other suppliers seem to be way too light for the amounts of heat we want to move.

Group buy, anyone?
austynn2001
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I ordered some 2" wide by 1" tall 1/8" thick aluminum U-channel from allmetalsinc.com. It was pretty reasonable and right in stock, cut to length and shipped fairly quickly. It's real nice stuff. I just got the frame assembled for my build and I'll be trying to figure out some wiring this weekend if I can find some time.
J.R.R.Toking
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

austynn2001 wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:16 am
I ordered some 2" wide by 1" tall 1/8" thick aluminum U-channel from allmetalsinc.com. It was pretty reasonable and right in stock, cut to length and shipped fairly quickly. It's real nice stuff. I just got the frame assembled for my build and I'll be trying to figure out some wiring this weekend if I can find some time.
This settles it for me. For my 6-45 inch pieces shipped, this C Channel would be @ $90, while proper 2" finned heatsink of the same length is only $14 more (Using the "GIVEME10" discount code for March orders).

i don't know if the LT-FB24B (double-row) Samsung strips need it, but at $300 for 6 of them, I'll spend the extra $14 and just go with www.heatsinkusa.com