Bridgelux EB2 280mm Build Help

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
Pickll
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

garnier wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:31 pm
What is the thickness of that sheet you've used?

I did some very similar setup with 6mm thick aluminium sheet and if I put them on highest settings ( with potentiometer ) then they run quite hot...

Well mine is a bit different. Having 12 strips on 300x300 mm sheet ...

Yours having more gaps between strips. Maybe that's why..

I'll post some pictures of mine when I get camera

Thickness is 10mm and I found a screw so I had a chance to dim the lights today.

The light was dimmed all the way down not sure why but when I turned them full power it was really hot, like 4x brighter&hotter and amazed again to see the power of them.. Really incredible light.

mine was 300mm x 480mm, just wanted some space to add some extra afterwards but seems like not possible..

Also can someone help about the built in potentiometer ?
There is two adj options, Vo and Io, the Vo Adj doesn't do anything but Io dims the light. Any info about this ??
MoosingAround
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Pickll wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:42 pm
garnier wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:31 pm
What is the thickness of that sheet you've used?

I did some very similar setup with 6mm thick aluminium sheet and if I put them on highest settings ( with potentiometer ) then they run quite hot...

Well mine is a bit different. Having 12 strips on 300x300 mm sheet ...

Yours having more gaps between strips. Maybe that's why..

I'll post some pictures of mine when I get camera

Thickness is 10mm and I found a screw so I had a chance to dim the lights today.

The light was dimmed all the way down not sure why but when I turned them full power it was really hot, like 4x brighter&hotter and amazed again to see the power of them.. Really incredible light.

mine was 300mm x 480mm, just wanted some space to add some extra afterwards but seems like not possible..

Also can someone help about the built in potentiometer ?
There is two adj options, Vo and Io, the Vo Adj doesn't do anything but Io dims the light. Any info about this ??
You have the HLG-150-24A
It's a 24V Constant Voltage driver, thats adjustable down to ~ 22V with Vo Adj.

HLG CV drivers switch into Constant Current mode when they hit max Wattage (which allows the driver to drop its voltage down to a minimum of 12V). For the Io Adj to be affecting it, you're reaching max wattage. (I think) Adjusting the max current down reduces the wattage with it.

In CV mode at minimum 22V, you'd be supplying voltage off the Gen2's chart.
Data sheet goes up to 700mA @ 20.5V -> lets roughly estimate 1000mA gets drawn @ 22V = 22 watts (you were targeting 525mA @ 20V = 10.5 watts). With 12 strips * 22 watts = 264 watts, which is over the driver's max (150ish) and puts it into Constant Current mode.

Driver is conservatively rated for ~150 watts. Lets guess it can do 170W, divided by 12 strips = 14 watts a strip max, which lands on the Gen2 curve at about 700mA @ 20.5V (a suitable but high power for the Gen2s). Now any adjustment you make to Io Adj will decrease that.

Re: No Heatsink @ 700ma -> thats for Gen2s that are 560mm/1120mm long. You wouldnt require a heatsink under 350mA at the 280mm length.
Last edited by MoosingAround on Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Yup. From my other post:

You’re using Bridgelux Gen 2, correct? That would likely be due to the fact that you’ve got them running on a 24V driver when they’re intended to be run closer to 20V. When you lower your VO, they’re still pulling all the driver current since they’re current-hungry even at the min. voltage of your driver so lowering VO does nothing. In your case, IO will work.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
Pickll
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Okay I got the idea behind it now, here is the test run with a bunch of basil planted to a 3lt pot. Dimmed at around %50, running for 2hours and this thing is getting real hot, the aluminuim and the drivers temperature is like a hot laptops battery very warm when I touch
Attachments
8B1FC1B2-27EC-4BBB-9DBE-2ED2D0ABAEB4.png
garnier
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Try to fit your driver onto computer standoff screws so it does not have contact with that aluminium.
Think it should really help.
They are M3 size.

I'll be trying myself tomorrow.
Will update later..

edit: just did it and its better
Attachments
just uploaded
just uploaded
Pickll
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Thats a good idea, the driver emits too much heat cuz its touching with the main heat supply, Ill probably look in to that asap.

Also here is a updated picture, this setup is eating my money and time :D I dropped some fire seeds to jiffy pallets after soaking them. Hope they germinate :/ they are covered with a top to produce humidity and a towel top of it.
Also the basils started to sprout !!!!!
After 4 days im seeing 5-6 sprouts coming will update
Attachments
AE96280B-F23F-44D2-833D-1BBA0401109D.png
Fawkes420
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

If you don't mind having the driver outside the closet it is a way to keep the heat down a little bit.
Pickll
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Here is a little update guys,

https://imgur.com/a/p9zCK

The plants look healthy imo but not sure, keeping the air ventilated with a mini fan really helped about the heat situation and everything is good now !
Just not sure how I will deal with smell, lets see...

I really recommend this lights, pretty impressed, I didnt have a chance to test them more than %30 will incrase till flower