4x4 Samsung F-Series 2′ build

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
s3ntual
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

hello everyone, first post here although iv been lurking a while. after seeing a few of the strip builds constructed by others, i would like to create one myself :D i currently use a 4x4 tent for now but would like to build for the future/possible expansion. And luckily i have quite the hookup over at digikey, as i can get there products at there highest break point/ lowest cost. Im also an electrician so i can acquire certain necessitates from the job site at times.

I'll be using the fixture from seed to fruit, so id like it fully dimmable for seedlings and the young. along with having 5000k spectrum for the seedlings and early veg. while having 3000k for fruiting. while keeping max wattage around the 600w

so with all that being said, lets get started! 8-)

ill just kinda throw out here what i was thinking up & see what you guys thing. looking for some constructive criticism & or some ideas & other options

the picture below is the idea in my head as of now. there would only be 12x 2' strips running on the driver at a time. and i have the center (zone 2) switchable between the 5000k & 3000k so only one set would be active at a time. and the outer zones 1 & 3 would be switchable as on/off. that way i could run the 5000k spectrum strips by themselves if wanted. Image

Parts list:
12x Samsung LT-F564B 2′ Strip 3000k ($204)
4x Samsung LT-F564B 2′ Strips 5000K ($68)
1x Mean Well HLG-600H-48b Driver ($169.00)
~24 Feet of 2″ Heat Sink ($96)
2x Roll of Thermal Tape, 30mm x 25m ($32
1x 6-Pack of Ratcheting Hangers ($19)
Total Price Estimate (USD) = $588 + Shipping
Attachments
4x4 strip light #2.png
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Looks good to me. You'll be running the strips at around 55% of max with that driver which is fine since you have 50% more diodes in the build than most people would use. Should be very efficient.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
majorana
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Looks great! Perhaps another two 5K strips for veg.

Post picture when you wire it all up, will you? I can use the inspiration for when my strips arrive :)
J.R.R.Toking
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

s3ntual wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:40 pm
hello everyone, first post here although iv been lurking a while. after seeing a few of the strip builds constructed by others, i would like to create one myself :D i currently use a 4x4 tent for now but would like to build for the future/possible expansion. And luckily i have quite the hookup over at digikey, as i can get there products at there highest break point/ lowest cost. Im also an electrician so i can acquire certain necessitates from the job site at times.

I'll be using the fixture from seed to fruit, so id like it fully dimmable for seedlings and the young. along with having 5000k spectrum for the seedlings and early veg. while having 3000k for fruiting. while keeping max wattage around the 600w

so with all that being said, lets get started! 8-)

ill just kinda throw out here what i was thinking up & see what you guys thing. looking for some constructive criticism & or some ideas & other options

the picture below is the idea in my head as of now. there would only be 12x 2' strips running on the driver at a time. and i have the center (zone 2) switchable between the 5000k & 3000k so only one set would be active at a time. and the outer zones 1 & 3 would be switchable as on/off. that way i could run the 5000k spectrum strips by themselves if wanted. Image

Parts list:
12x Samsung LT-F564B 2′ Strip 3000k ($204)
4x Samsung LT-F564B 2′ Strips 5000K ($68)
1x Mean Well HLG-600H-48b Driver ($169.00)
~24 Feet of 2″ Heat Sink ($96)
2x Roll of Thermal Tape, 30mm x 25m ($32
1x 6-Pack of Ratcheting Hangers ($19)
Total Price Estimate (USD) = $588 + Shipping
This is extremely similar to what I'd like to do...being able to switch my 4- 4 foot 3000k off after flower, and use my 2-4 foot 5000k for veg. Can you please source the switch parts you're using, so that I can accomplish this? I was just planning on manually plugging in whichever circuit I needed into the driver, but switches would be so much cleaner. I'm using the HLG-480H-48A driver and 6-Samsung LT-FB24B 4' strips (4-3000k and 2-5000k, on different circuits). Thanks, man.
s3ntual
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

[/quote]

This is extremely similar to what I'd like to do...being able to switch my 4- 4 foot 3000k off after flower, and use my 2-4 foot 5000k for veg. Can you please source the switch parts you're using, so that I can accomplish this? I was just planning on manually plugging in whichever circuit I needed into the driver, but switches would be so much cleaner. I'm using the HLG-480H-48A driver and 6-Samsung LT-FB24B 4' strips (4-3000k and 2-5000k, on different circuits). Thanks, man.
[/quote]

i was just planning on using a standard 15 amp household three way switch being im under 120v and 15 amps along with a handy box and what we sparky's call ba's or black assholes :lol: , just go to home depot or your local hardware store and ask for a 3way switch. you would attach the power coming in to the black screw and the other two terminals to what ever lights you would want to switch between.
601337-z.jpg
184169.jpg
download.jpg
download.jpg (3.27 KiB) Viewed 1213 times
download (1).jpg
download (1).jpg (6.87 KiB) Viewed 1211 times
this is how they are usually used.
47128bbbee9908fb8b41c26ddb303421.jpg
but instead of using it for sending power to a different switch we are just using two lights and switching between them.
s3ntual
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Just wanted to say thanks LEDG, majorana & J.R.R.Toking for stopping in and giving some input.

And yes majorana i will most definitely post up some build pictures once i get started on everything. Everyones post i have read has been a great inspiration to me and i'd be glad to help others or provide inspiration for others that decide to go this route. although i am still in the planning phase and it will be a month or so before i actually get anything do to moving soon. but once i get settled i'll be back to it!
J.R.R.Toking
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Awesome info, s3ntual! I really appreciate it.

I'm also considering just wiring up those mini male/female connectors/plugs...one male coming off the driver, and two females, one each going into the 3000k and 5000k circuits.

What's the purpose in your design using three separate zones, rather than just having the 3000k and 5000k on just one 3-way switch? I assume you'd never want to mix the two spectrums at one time anyways, so I was wondering if this would be advantageous to include in my wiring schematic...I still have a few weeks until I catch-up to my lead times from Digikey. Awesome for you, getting the deep discount!

Thanks again for the explanation, and GL on your build.
s3ntual
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

the reason i'm doing the different zones is id like just the center of my tent to be illuminated during the seedling stage and while there young. or just give me options on where i have most my light. figure why pay for the power i dont need if i can turn off some lights and dim down
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

It’s a neat concept. It’s great to have a real electrician onboard here!
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!