First Light Questions: Tape, Glue, or Grease ?

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
Sativant
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

I'm building a 2'x2' light for my 3'x3' space. I have thermal tape, I have screws, thermal "grease" and thermal adhesive. Last night I started drilling and tapping holes to mount the 22" F series strips to my 2.07" heatsinks (USA).

I was planning on using screws and grease. The strips are thin enough that they flex a little and the screws don't seem to hold them flat. There are little air gaps between places where the screws hold them down. Would the thermal grease help keep the strips in contact with the heatsink ? Is the blue thermal tape (Amazon) good enough ? Or is thermal adhesive the best bet ?
tazztone
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

i used the blue 10mm thermal tape to attach my f562B to simple aluminum L-profile (not a heat sink). it doesn't get over 45°C on the back @ ~ 80% load. so tape is enough.
the epoxy-PCB of the strips is the biggest barrier to heat transfer anyway
Sativant
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Thank you. The tape is so much easier than the alternatives.
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Tape seems to be the consensus. If it doesn’t hold (which is highly unlikely) you can supplement with screws.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
sweeper
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Sativant wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:38 pm
I'm building a 2'x2' light for my 3'x3' space. I have thermal tape, I have screws, thermal "grease" and thermal adhesive. Last night I started drilling and tapping holes to mount the 22" F series strips to my 2.07" heatsinks (USA).

I was planning on using screws and grease. The strips are thin enough that they flex a little and the screws don't seem to hold them flat. There are little air gaps between places where the screws hold them down. Would the thermal grease help keep the strips in contact with the heatsink ? Is the blue thermal tape (Amazon) good enough ? Or is thermal adhesive the best bet ?
Bud I am a large fan of the tape myself. I had similar issues you described, and the tape so made life easier. I would use tape and zip ties before I committed to using thermal goop.