Can different length strips of same voltage be connected parallel?

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I have 1 foot and 2 foot Bridgelux vesta strips. Both run on the same voltage. The 1 foot strips are 3s16p, and the 2 foot strips are 3s32p. What happens if I connect them in parallel, do they get equal power per diode, or equal power per strip?

I have four sets of two x 560mm vestas driven by a 3A driver, so they get 1.5A per 560mm strip. If i leach power from them to power a 280mm strip for sidelighting, will they all get 1A per strip regardless of length, or 0.6A per foot - 1.2A for the 560mm strips and 0.6A for the 280mm strip?
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
gbauto
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I hacked an old King 1200w fixture and used the Vesta strips. my driver pushes them @670mA and they are a huge improvement over the epistars. I'd think that since the forward voltage is the same for both the proportions of the drive current should also stay the same.
Hydrofood
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

unkle_psycho wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:54 am
What happens if I connect them in parallel, do they get equal power per diode, or equal power per strip?
I am in the same boat with a build Iv had half built for some time. I’m looking to add a few 1’ Eb gen2’s to a build using 2’ Eb gen2’s

Have you found out anything more?

My mind tells me they would pull equal amperage per diode, in theory at least.
Man this is a tough one. Right when I start thinking about it more and more, thinkin Iv got it, my mind goes the other way and tells me it can’t be true.
Wonder if LEDG has encounters this before.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I tested it in my ghetto way, by just connecting them and trying the diodes with my hand, every so often. Temperatures were about the same so obviously noone was receiving half or double power. Makes sense because this allows for flexible designs.

Are the 1 and 2 foot eb strips at the same voltage? I remember comparing the 2 and 4 foot models and the 4 footer had double voltage.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
Hydrofood
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

unkle_psycho wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:08 am
Temperatures were about the same.
Are the 1 and 2 foot eb strips at the same voltage?
That’s good to hear. I’m thinking of quite a few ways I’d be able to incorporate both sizes in one build.

Correct, 1’ & 2’ strips are same voltage, double amperage. .350 & .700 nom.
4’ is double the voltage .700 nom.
rdooski3
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I've been wondering the same thing and was willing to buy a few and see. Im pretty confident it will work like we want. After they arrive I will test them with a multimeter and let you guys know.
Hydrofood
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

rdooski3 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:20 am
After they arrive I will test them with a multimeter and let you guys know.
You the man!
Which strips will you be testing in particular?
xenophon
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

The Bridgelux EB GEN2 strips are wired 7 in series x 8 parallel in 1-foot, 7s x 16p in 2-foot. Bridgelux are kind enough to print it on the strip, but I had a lot of fun trying to follow the complex printing on my 2-foot strip before realizing that. Anyway, 7x3v is 21v so I'd already made the assumption.
Hydrofood
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

What are you getting at?
rdooski3
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hydrofood wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:29 am

You the man!
Which strips will you be testing in particular?
They are the same design as the samsung H series. 1 and 2 foot versions.

Basically like if he was saying if one is 7s8p and one is 7s16p each diode should get the same. Its just like having 2 1ft strips is parallel.