Bridgelux Gen. 2 2x2 build -Bigger Power supply?

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
tomlongboat
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Im going to be building the Bridgelux Gen. 2 2'x2' light from http://ledgardener.com/diy-led-strip-bu ... bridgelux/#

Now my space is actually 16"x16" and doing some calculations I only need 10 strip lights for the optimal lumens. The person who showed me this used HLG-60H-C350A psu for their 10 strip build but since the HLG-120H-20B is only a little extra Id like to go with that in case I ever want to add lights.
Or would it be possible to wire it up with an old PC psu?

My question is, if I get the larger psu how would I wire my 8 strips to run off the HLG-120H-20B?
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

These are pretty sweet deals on drivers:

download/file.php?id=2290&mode=view
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
Hydrofood
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Watch the videos on this site regarding wiring. LEDG explains everything beautifully.
Is this your first light build?
If it is, you should take the time to understand wiring.
C350 is wired in series.
20A is wired in parallel.

10 1’ Eb gen2 strips at 350mA will give you 40w/sqft in a 16”x16” area.
That’s alotta light.

Also, I’d stear clear of old PC drivers.
The link unkle posted has some great bang for buck drivers.
tomlongboat
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Yeah this is my first build, why do you suggest not going with a PC or Xbox PSU?
Hydrofood
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Because an LED has basically zero resistance. Onthose types of power supplies, they rely on the CPU to control the flow of current at certain voltages. With nothing to control them an LED could be fed an uncontrollable amount of current potentially.
tomlongboat
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

would a buck converter solve that?
Hydrofood
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

That’s not a popular path to take because you loose efficiency very fast.
Maybe someone with experience using them could chime in.
tomlongboat
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

My rent is fixed and it includes electricity so efficiency isnt really an issue on this build. Just trying to save money on a psu/ have a use for these pc/ xbox power supply units.
Hydrofood
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Efficiency affects more than just your energy bill. That’s nice it’s tied in with your rent tho!
Higher efficiency directly correlates with the amount of photons raining down on your plants. It also plays a role in heat production.
You should really look at the Thomas Research Products drivers that Uncle linked to earlier in this thread. They are VERY cheap and have proven reliable.

Here’s a thread on found on the subject.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=471

I’m all for saving money and DIY but I’m also very safety conscious when doing so.
Hydrofood
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

tomlongboat wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:32 am
Just trying to save money on a psu/ have a use for these pc/ xbox power supply units.
Heres a blurb I read on an LED grow light sub reddit

*While technically you can run LEDs off any DC source that matches the LEDs electrical requirements PC and XBOX PSUs are not designed for this purpose. Buy a proper driver.
As an example , PC PSUs have a 12 volt rail a 5v and a 3.3v, so technically if you can find 12volt led strips you could wire them in parallel up to the PSU max wattage. this would not work on Samsung or Bridgelux strips as the voltages are significantly higher than 12 volts. Same goes for the xbox psu, you need to know the output voltage and rated amps/watts then try to find strips that would work, not impossible, but you are really building a light around the PSU, rather than the proper way of designing the light you need then finding an appropriate driver to power it.*