600 watt no heatsink F-series strip build finished

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
Hyakutak
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

The light & the driver are producing a lot of heat in the room, but the strip itself is cold(30-35c). Going without heatsinks is probably always the best option you have in term of price/quality.
unkle_psycho wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:51 pm
Fluence recommends 20w per foot without co2, and 40w/f with co2.

Genetics influence it too, I just had a situation with my 730w plasma where a g13/haze clone I know from before was flowering very badly, except in a corner that was hit by less light, where it was building solid heads.. Some other plants are enjoying the same space.

Think about the light quadrupling every time you half the distance (with the 1000w HID)... Try running it with 480w... Maybe?
at 300W I get a PPFD of 600 everywhere. 800@ 400w. More than enough for a good 12/12 without C02. But people like big number... I think we can hit a 2-3gr/watts efficiency with a one bud /sog. But the gr/m2 would probably be lower
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Those numbers sound spot on. I'm just towards the end of my first strip sog, and learned quite a lot. The penetration is much better, but with the other plant there was way too many heads so still not enough penetration. The plant with a little less heads seems to get solid 50cm down.
For my next round I'm hoping to build 4x75w rings of leds as sidelighting... have 300w on the walls and maybe 320 above in a 4x4. That should allow me to grow tall, and grow 12 week sativas with 1m+ colas :D I'm testing the idea now with a single ring of sidelight and I think its obvious it will bring results...
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
Professor Xavier
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

unkle_psycho wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:51 pm
Fluence recommends 20w per foot without co2, and 40w/f with co2.

Genetics influence it too, I just had a situation with my 730w plasma where a g13/haze clone I know from before was flowering very badly, except in a corner that was hit by less light, where it was building solid heads.. Some other plants are enjoying the same space.

Think about the light quadrupling every time you half the distance (with the 1000w HID)... Try running it with 480w... Maybe?
Splitting hairs I'm sure (and im aware both of you know but don't want newcomers to the site citing it just cuz fluence did)but watts per Sq ft is a horrid metric. It was used for HID lighting for a long time because there were so few improvements in the technology that the fixtures' output could reliably be predicted in watts and conveyed to people that didn't understand ppf or PPFD. It'd only make sense in led lighting if you're comparing lights using the exact same diode and even that doesn't take into account lense effects or diode spread. For example a vesta strip rocks 130 lumens per watt vs a q strip which can do 192. Your 300 watts are not equivalent to his.
Ppfd or lumens please!
Cheers.

PS - if your professional friend doesn't like that light, does he or she want to sell it?
I think she is tres belle
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Yeah the claim from fluence came with a product family which uses samsung lm561c diodes on 4 foot strips. They claim to have researched the optimum light levels for the two grow styles ín their spydrx and plus....

:edit: so it's relatively applicable to strip builds with similar efficiencies and CRI's. F, Q and Hinflux series and EB gen2's.
milk
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

How are the LEDs holding up with no heat sink?

I just did a similar, much smaller version (4x1' strips for 2'x2')and am measuring 32C on the frame and back of the strips, which is well within the max operating temp for the strips (55C).

Wondering at what point to be concerned with temp of the strips, for longevity sake?
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Don't take this with too much authority, but I always imagined the promised lifespan is tested using pretty high temperatures. Probably the max temperatures.

I also read a formula somewhere where they were giving pretty specific numbers on how temperature affected lifespan. I cant remember the numbers, but I remember being shocked at how much lifespan can be expected to increase for every degree of less heat. I guess the opposite is also true, lifespan will be significantly lower when operated over max temperature.
milk
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Excellent. Currently working on bringing the temperature up a bit in the tent, these LED strips are too efficient!
sparky1
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hyakutak wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:10 pm
Hey,

I just finished my last build:

25 F-series strip (one row) with a meanwell HLG-600h-48B.
The PPFD is obviously very uniform. I get 1200 @ 20cm everywhere in the 4x4 grow space. The light is running cold (40-45c without heatsink)

IMG_0884.JPGcamphoto_1483920592.JPGIMG_0881.JPGIMG_0880.JPG

Can't wait to grow under that beast! The light penetration is just insane!
Wow, sweet!
Might I ask what you used for wire and where you purchased it as I am not sure where to get it and type best in bulk?
Same goes for connectors have not seen them before and wagos are arm and leg in Canada.
Which model strip did you get? Samsung F-? Get good deal? I want 4 footers if possible they fit my grow area best.
I am in Canada what to build same light(two). What did it cost you to build?